Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Jun 13th 2014, 4:17 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Originally Posted by johno5175
Did you ask the embassy about the ETD? They are issuing them now for sure for noobs even without a prior pp
Phoned up, but not gonna get one 'just yet'

Waiting for his passport, - if i haven't got it by 'Mid July' then i'll get it.

Originally Posted by Razakhtar
Arrived at Liverpool 21/03/14
Payment taken 24/03/14
Told passport was lost 02/06/14

Emailed MP, sent complaints to literally ever email, contacted Liverpool office directly.

Passport printed and sent 05/06/14
Passport delivered 13/06/14

Beijing embassy were prepared to give my son an ETD if I needed it.

Cheers dude.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Razakhtar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Phoned up, but not gonna get one 'just yet'

Waiting for his passport, - if i haven't got it by 'Mid July' then i'll get it.

Cheers dude.
There was a user called smithc who had exactly the same timeline as me, I wonder if he also got his passport this week?
Old Jun 13th 2014, 4:33 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

There was a user called smithc who had exactly the same timeline as me, I wonder if he also got his passport this week?
I sent mine off 27th March (payment taken 3rd April)

Next week will be '12 weeks' for me.... AND I HAVE HEARD NOTHING.

Emails all sent to MP passport office and so on.

NOTHING
Old Jun 13th 2014, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I am just starting this process just now for my baby (we are in the US)
I completed the online application yesterday (June 12th), I'm sorting out the countersignatory just now and then will pop it all in the post tomorrow.

I will not be sending his US passport though. I know they ask for it but I have put a note saying it is needed for travel and will include a colour copy. I can't risk not having it to hand!
Old Jun 14th 2014, 6:48 am
Just Joined

smithc is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope. I still haven't got it.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 6:54 am
Looking Around~

Originally Posted by smithc
Nope. I still haven't got it.
You heard anything at all though?

They're taken the ultimate piss here. (yes we get it backlogs... and all) - but not take more than 3 months... c'mon
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:03 am
Just Joined

You heard anything at all though?

They're taken the ultimate piss here. (yes we get it backlogs... and all) - but not take more than 3 months... c'mon
A lady from the Liverpool office contacted me when I emailed all the ministers involved in this passport saga. She spoke to me and got all my details and raised an urgent request for the Delhi office to work towards my application. She called me on Tue and on Thursday the Delhi office got in touch with the person who signed our application.
My MP got back to me with the same 16 week crap. Told him to ignore the garbage he got from Passport office.

I tried calling Liverpool office for a status but they didn't have any updates for me.

Will try and call them on Monday as they are working 7 days a week.

Applying for ETD doesn't make any sense to me. We can't exit out of India to get to UK without an Exit Visa which is only given on the basis of a Passport... I am also not prepared to leave all my original documents with them and get my wife to travel back here.

My emails to the ministers did help. Whenever you send an email to the MP copy Liverpool office.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 10:18 am
Looking Around~

Originally Posted by smithc
Applying for ETD doesn't make any sense to me. We can't exit out of India to get to UK without an Exit Visa which is only given on the basis of a Passport...
Same here, man. just found out that my self.... even if i have an ETD the Chinese government won't let me leave until he has an exit visa? but that needs a passport? UTTER BOLLOCKS.

me and my son are British citizens. ***** the lot of them.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Not sure to laugh or cry about the whole issue. I have decided to write to Ed Miliband and his party so that they can ask T May as to what she means by getting ETD.
Even we had 10000 people more working in the new passport office, the problems for overseas applications will not be sorted.

People are worried about holidays.

I want to bloody see my kids.

At the current rate he will walking to the passport office tocollect his New Born's passport!
Old Jun 14th 2014, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Not sure to laugh or cry about the whole issue. I have decided to write to Ed Miliband and his party so that they can ask T May as to what she means by getting ETD.
Even we had 10000 people more working in the new passport office, the problems for overseas applications will not be sorted.

People are worried about holidays.

I want to bloody see my kids.

At the current rate he will walking to the passport office tocollect his New Born's passport!
Old Jun 14th 2014, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

Same here, man. just found out that my self.... even if i have an ETD the Chinese government won't let me leave until he has an exit visa? but that needs a passport? UTTER BOLLOCKS.

me and my son are British citizens. ***** the lot of them.
They should just need to see his ETD then issue you an exit / entry book. Then they will ask you to renounce his Chinese citizenship.
An ETD is enough to do that. They have spare page for an exit visa in them. I have had one myself. But they seem to be issuing their own exit book lately with its own exit visa, they will rip the bottom slip from the local bc off. This is a white slip that is used to get a houko so that your kid may never be Chineze again. Once that has gone they will issue the Exit book and visa. Thay can not refuse you as your kid is not registered via houko. If they slip has been removed prior then a whole world of bureaucratic crap will ensue to get out without a chinese passport.

Some immigration departments ask you to renounce the Chinese citizenship first and others are asking to do this when you return on a UK passport with a visa issued from the kiddas home country. They WONT refuse your child exit because he has an ETD.
That is proof he has taken another citizenship over Chinese. Just depends if they ask you to renounce before or after. If before can take up to a few months but normally around 1.
If after wont matter till he returns on his UK passport then all that is/should be needed is a letter of renounce.

If they have told you this then either the rules have changed or you caught the Entry / Exit department on a bad day.

Last edited by johno5175; Jun 14th 2014 at 2:13 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 2:07 pm
Looking Around~

Originally Posted by johno5175
They should just need to see his ETD then issue you an exit / entry book. Then they will ask you to renounce his Chinese citizenship. An ETD is enough to do that. They have spare page for an exit visa in them. I have had one myself. But they seem to be issuing their own exit book lately with its own exit visa. Some immigration departments ask you to renounce the Chinese citizenship first and others are asking to do this when you return on a UK passport with a visa issued from the kiddas home country. They WONT refuse your child exit because he has an ETD. That is proof he has taken another citizenship over Chinese. Just depends if they ask you to renounce before or after. If before can take up to a few months but normally around 1.
If after wont matter till he returns on his UK passport then all that is/should be needed is a letter of renounce.
renounce his Chinese citizenship?? he doesn't have 'chinese citenship' dude... when he was born my wife never registered him, i just applied for his 'CONSULAR BC' lol British at birth - no chinese citizen at all not on any official documents.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

renounce his Chinese citizenship?? he doesn't have 'chinese citenship' dude... when he was born my wife never registered him, i just applied for his 'CONSULAR BC' lol British at birth - no chinese citizen at all not on any official documents.
You are wrong mate. He is Chinese by birth through his mother as he was born in China. Think you need to read up on the Chinese nationality law. Doesnt matter you never registered him. If 1 parent is Chinese and he is born there then he is a Chinese citizen.

Also i added some to my above post since you replied.

I presume he wass born in a local hospital and issued a local bc? If so then sorry fella he is Chinese if Mom is.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Nationality by birth

Chinese nationality law operates mainly on the basis of jus sanguinis ("right of blood"). On 1 October 1949, most people of Chinese nationality acquired nationality of the People's Republic.[2]

According to the Nationality Law, a person can acquire a Chinese nationality if he or she meets one of the following requirements:

"Is born in China and at least one parent holding Chinese nationality".

Nationality law of the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So unless the missus is a lao wai then your kidda has been sucked in by birth. If she is a foreigner then its fine.

EDIT to add.... I presume you didn not know that about the citizenship by birth rule (if that even apply to your situation but i am sure 100% it does) so i will give you the best knowledge i have on this from reading up online. when the other half was prego i read up for days on end to see where the little one stood. So here goes.....

So the child is automatically a Chinese citizen. Basically the steps to get the exit visa/book i outlined before. One other thing you have to do is your missus has to visit the local PSB in her home town where her family houko is issued and she is registered. There they will authorize the renunciation of your kids citizenship and there is where they remove the bottom half of the local birth certificate. That is where it is up to the whim of the local PSB on how long it takes. Law states expect up to a year but most people have it done within 3 months (usually 1). there is shit loads of paper work to do and stamps and red tape to get through. After you get the green light then you take the local bc and passport to the entry and exit in BJ and they will then check the paperwork and stamps. then you will get the exit book/visa. Depending on the area will depend if you have to renounce before departure or when you should if ever return.

I think if you state you are leaving for good then they make you do it before so that can delay everything by months. If you state you are returning asap with a shiny new visa issued from the UK then they will ask you to renounce of produce of a passport and visa issued abroad.

Sorry fella...

2nd edit. you cant renounce without a foreign passport/citizenship but an ETD is proof citizenship has been taken and approved by a foreign state. A consular bc does not prove this (it is proof in British law as nationality by right) but also only states the birth was registered in the UK as born abroad, not this kid is British and not Chinese. If you read the .GOV website it states the consular bc is only a registration of a British birth abroad.

Sucks i know. I have to go through this myself soon as i have a passport for the little one (not a consular bc).

Last edited by johno5175; Jun 14th 2014 at 4:06 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Lou549 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,
I hope since I last posted a comment some of you have had progress? I've put my family out there in terms of the Scottish media and the good news is that I think my son's passport will be with us this week. I won't believe it until it's physically in my hand. Anyway, I just wanted to put out an offer of help/assistance - if any of you guys need someone to help send tweets/facebook messages/emails/phone calls etc I will happily help. Just message me. This is a far bigger issue than the government wants to accept, but it is gaining ground, as it should. Furthermore, just because we are not in our country of origin at the moment doesn't mean it's ok to abandon us! xxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.