Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Apr 18th 2014, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Originally Posted by Muheza
How do you get a uk birth certificate while you are abroad?
Go to the following link which is the government registrars website. Sign-up, fill out your details, order what you need and pay. I just did it for my birth certificate and took 15 minutes to do. Very fast and efficient.

http://www.gro.gov.uk

Costs 9 quid for a normal dispatch service which is 15 days from receipt of order or 23 quid for next day dispatch. I just did the latter. Those times dont include delivery times.

Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Do you have a UK address? If so, just order it on here: https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-...ge-certificate.
I'd them ask family to send it on.

That's what I have done.

Not sure if the GRO can post stuff to an overseas address...it might be possible. You could always email them: [email protected]
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't. I needed my replacement before we left. Others on here have done though, their info is likely more up to date than mine.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 8:53 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaoclive
Do you have a UK address? If so, just order it on here: https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-...ge-certificate.
I'd them ask family to send it on.

That's what I have done.

Not sure if the GRO can post stuff to an overseas address...it might be possible. You could always email them: [email protected]
The GRO will post overseas.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 11:50 am
Just Joined

xxBasilxx is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same issue, I applied for my daughter 1st passport since December 2013 and still waiting, its been about 4 and half months, I sent my British passport and also my wife British passport, with the child birth registry from the UK Embassy, and when I call them, they keep saying its on going security check.

You are talking about reference number that is not available when we applied, and u are correct, overseas application dose not have a code, but when you call Durham office the answering machine say if you receive a letter from the office you can continue else you have to call the advice line, I got the reference number because they sent me a letter require more supporting documents that how I got my reference number.

With a reference number or without a reference number its the same story, they will not give you any details how long it will need to get the passport.

I called them last week after 4 months of waiting and calling, they told me that we will check if we still need your original documents or we may send them back, they suppose to call me today, but I doubt that they will call.

Any way this is a frustrated process and should not take all this time to process, especial that they don't give a good answers when you call.

And the strange thing that in UK when you apply for any new document, you have to send original documents to support your ID, they usually send you back your original documents within a weeks or so, then after 2-3 weeks you receive you new ID that you applied for, I thought its the same in this case, but holding our passport for all this time is very unwise from them.

Hope after all this I will get a happy ending
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:26 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxBasilxx
I have the same issue, I applied for my daughter 1st passport since December 2013 and still waiting, its been about 4 and half months, I sent my British passport and also my wife British passport, with the child birth registry from the UK Embassy, and when I call them, they keep saying its on going security check.

You are talking about reference number that is not available when we applied, and u are correct, overseas application dose not have a code, but when you call Durham office the answering machine say if you receive a letter from the office you can continue else you have to call the advice line, I got the reference number because they sent me a letter require more supporting documents that how I got my reference number.

With a reference number or without a reference number its the same story, they will not give you any details how long it will need to get the passport.

I called them last week after 4 months of waiting and calling, they told me that we will check if we still need your original documents or we may send them back, they suppose to call me today, but I doubt that they will call.

Any way this is a frustrated process and should not take all this time to process, especial that they don't give a good answers when you call.

And the strange thing that in UK when you apply for any new document, you have to send original documents to support your ID, they usually send you back your original documents within a weeks or so, then after 2-3 weeks you receive you new ID that you applied for, I thought its the same in this case, but holding our passport for all this time is very unwise from them.

Holy shit, you applied last Dec? and still not received it? i would of thought that is ILLEGAL now.. since your past the 6 weeks timeline.. well even past 8 weeks... i would raise hell basil, send your family down to the office? find out whats going on?? i'll be goin 'sick' if i haven't got my sons passport within 8 weeks... (already got my family on stand by) ...

As for reference number? yes you are right, i sent my forms off (printed) no number but they do add one to forms like that.

(waiting for them to email me my number..)
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Fazmattaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Holy shit, you applied last Dec? and still not received it? i would of thought that is ILLEGAL now.. since your past the 6 weeks timeline.. well even past 8 weeks... i would raise hell basil, send your family down to the office? find out whats going on?? i'll be goin 'sick' if i haven't got my sons passport within 8 weeks... (already got my family on stand by) ...

As for reference number? yes you are right, i sent my forms off (printed) no number but they do add one to forms like that.

(waiting for them to email me my number..)
My thoughts exactly! I've Benin waiting for 6 weeks now am already getting resttless.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that setting your family on them or raising hell is particularly constructive?
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:38 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
I'm not sure that setting your family on them or raising hell is particularly constructive?
To get answers in some cases 'it is needed'

I cant leave this country WITHOUT MY SON and the Passport office are stopping me.... after 8 weeks (if i haven't got it) 2 Members of my family will go down there and find out what the hell is going on...

Just because im 6,000 Miles away from UK doesn't mean they can hide and delay my sons application.

I'm not going to sit by after 8 weeks and have 'Hopes & Dreams' waiting for his passport.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Can you get a visa from the embassy? Some kind of emergency travel document if you provide copies of everything and explain what's happening. In my experience, going and shouting at people doesn't get you anywhere. Better to be polite. At the end of the day, they can hang up or ask you to leave if you're abusive to them. They're struggling with their new system, yes, is it likely the responsibility of the person you are shouting at, and go they have the power to fix it? Likely not.

I understand you're frustrated, but sending people in to an office to get aggressive towards someone who can't tell them anything anyway (data protection act) isn't going to get you anywhere.

Maybe next time you call, calmly ask for a supervisor, or the complaints department. Call your embassy, consular services exist to help solve problems.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 12:49 pm
Looking Around~

Originally Posted by Dashie
Can you get a visa from the embassy? Some kind of emergency travel document if you provide copies of everything and explain what's happening. In my experience, going and shouting at people doesn't get you anywhere. Better to be polite. At the end of the day, they can hang up or ask you to leave if you're abusive to them. They're struggling with their new system, yes, is it likely the responsibility of the person you are shouting at, and go they have the power to fix it? Likely not.

I understand you're frustrated, but sending people in to an office to get aggressive towards someone who can't tell them anything anyway (data protection act) isn't going to get you anywhere.

Maybe next time you call, calmly ask for a supervisor, or the complaints department. Call your embassy, consular services exist to help solve problems.
Interesting... i never said they would be 'aggressive' 0_o

i would raise hell yes but they wouldn't...

Plus i know the EXACT person who's got my sons application by name...

Frustrated? not in the slightest... (wait till the 24th of may) then i'll be frustrated... as for the embassy? it doesn't work like that in 'CHINA'
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Kenya is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Basil,

Sorry you are having to wait so long. I am also still waiting since applying in December from Kenya. Which country did you apply from?

Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

xxBasilxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kenya
Hi Basil,

Sorry you are having to wait so long. I am also still waiting since applying in December from Kenya. Which country did you apply from?

Thanks.
Hi Kenya,

I applied from Dubai,
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Kenya is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kenya,

I applied from Dubai,
Thanks. That's interesting. One of the reasons given for it taking a long time from Kenya is that there is a high incidence of fraudulent applications from this country, but I would imagine that it less of an issue in Dubai so it is slightly troubling that there are heavy delays even from Dubai.

I wish you the best of luck with the application. Please let us know when you receive the passport.
Old Apr 23rd 2014, 6:25 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No point in 'raising hell' if an application is delayed by security checks (which can mean a number of different things). Every application will be judged on its own merits. The service standards are "at least six weeks" for this very reason. Nothing to do but be patient. Time be time.

Last edited by BritInParis; Apr 23rd 2014 at 6:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.