Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Apr 4th 2014, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Kenya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Hi,

My son was born in Kenya in August 2013. My husband and I are both British citizens and passport holders (other than by descent). We submitted his passport application to the UK, Durham office, in December last year. It has still not been completed and when I call for updates I am told it is still undergoing routing security checks. The website advises the minimum time for processing is 12 weeks, which have expired. They will not advise on how long the application could take to be completed and there is no maximum time (which is quite worrying...).

Has anyone else experienced delays with the applications for first passports for a child born overseas? Or has anyone recently applied from Kenya, via the UK, and if so could you please advise on how long the application took? Also, any tips on ways to expedite the process?

Many thanks.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 5:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

I suspect it's because there's a high rate of fraud for births in Kenya and the birth certificate and other supporting documentation will need to be verified.

A consular birth certificate would have sped up the passport application process considerably but you may have faced a similar wait for that to be issued. Not much you can do but wait at this point.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 4:54 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

As BritInParis says, mostly down to fraud.... but you really should of got his consular birth certificate... i did that for my son and sent off his passport application to liverpool (and so far they haven't emailed/phoned me of any issues) (if they do.. that is...)

They will no doubt require additional documents i think, just relax it will be fine in the end.

Last edited by Vexcore; Apr 5th 2014 at 6:40 am.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your responses. Yesterday I spoke to someone in Durham who told me that all overseas passport applications are proceeding slowly due to teething problems associated with the centralization of all overseas applications in the UK. Apparently there are two stages to the application: firstly, review in the UK and secondly review in the region from which you apply. My application is still stuck on the first phase after 3 and a half months and apparently that is not abnormal. It looks likely to atleast another few weeks still.

I will update when I receive it, for the benefit of others in a similar situation.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:54 am
Just Joined

sm16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kenya,
I did mine from Moscow and it took a very long time. Everytime I phoned they said it was undergoing security checks and they couldn't transfer me. Just keep phoning and phoning and I am sure it will be all right in the end!
Old Apr 8th 2014, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Hi sm16,

Many thanks for the info! It sounds like you got yours in the end? Could you help me with a few questions as I am mystified by this process?

Would you mind letting me know how long it took from what you applied ?Also, what was the minimum time they advised for applications from Moscow compared to how long it actually took in the end?

I am calling every day but don't know if it is making any difference at all and that helpline is terrible!

Thanks again.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

sm16 is an unknown quantity at this point

It took about 6 months I think in the end but they did write and ask for extra documents. In the embassy they had no idea how long it would take when I applied because they had just changed the process, they wouldn't even hazard a guess!
If you need it urgently I would keep pushing, if you have the time then I would just wait for it to come through - time consuming but less stress.
Good luck
Old Apr 8th 2014, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for sharing you experience. I will keep my fingers crossed!
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:15 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Yea let us know if you manage to get the passport in the end... (im wating for my sons one to arrive... not sure how long but hope it won't take months...)
Old Apr 11th 2014, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

A quick update. I sent a letter requesting that the supporting documentation be returned to us while they proceed with processing the application. We paid a small fee of GBP10.60 yesterday and they called today to say they will send them today via DHL to the High Commission here in Nairobi. At least we will have our passports and other documents back while they take their time in completing the application.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 1:25 pm
Looking Around~

Originally Posted by Kenya
Hello,

A quick update. I sent a letter requesting that the supporting documentation be returned to us while they proceed with processing the application. We paid a small fee of GBP10.60 yesterday and they called today to say they will send them today via DHL to the High Commission here in Nairobi. At least we will have our passports and other documents back while they take their time in completing the application.
Why would you do that? they will send them back anyway... you paid for them to be returned to you in the first place.... seems your £10 out of pocket son :P

But in all serious hope you get the passport soon... im in the same boat as you... but i wouldn't contact them to send me the supported documents back they will do it once the passport has been issued.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenya
Hello,

You may want to consider registering the birth at the High Commission in Nairobi to avoid any similar delays or problems in the future.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Would there be any issues with moving back to the UK with a baby on their foreign passport and dealing with their British passport once you were there?
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dashie
Would there be any issues with moving back to the UK with a baby on their foreign passport and dealing with their British passport once you were there?
It's always advisable to get them their British passport if your intention is to move back permanently as there is no guarantee of entry on their foreign passport. It would also depend on the passport. If don't require a visitor visa then you are much more likely to be accepted than if you had to have applied for a visa.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

And if there isn't time for that? Ours would be on a Canadian passport so no visa requirement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.