Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Delay in Consular Birth Registration of British child born abroad

Delay in Consular Birth Registration of British child born abroad

Old Sep 30th 2017, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

LeeHorne is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Delay in Consular Birth Registration of British child born abroad

Hello

I'm a Brazilian national married to a UK citizen, we have a 3 year old son and I recently sent all of his required documentation to the UK, so my husband can register him before we apply for his UK passport. The Home Office website says the registration process usually takes 3-5 days to be completed, unless they need aditional documentation and that could take up to 3 months, and we would be contacted if that was the case.

It's been two weeks and we have not been contacted, we looked into it and the Consular Birth registration was highly recomended as a way to speed the passport application process.

I've noticed quite a few people have had to wait months for their child's UK passport to be done and I'm just wondering if we should go ahead with the passport first and register him when we're in the UK, since I know the registration is not required. We're in a bit of a rush and I wonder what's the best route to take concerning this.

We're working with solicitors to make my Spouse Visa application but doing his passport on our own as it's quite expensive. They say we dont need to wait for his passport to start the Visa process but I wonder how can we prove that he's a UK citizen and does not add to the financial requirement without his passport?

I'd appreciate any help and advice
Old Sep 30th 2017, 10:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delay in Consular Birth Registration of British child born abroad

Did you send the package by registered post? Have you been able to confirm that it arrived?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Yeah it was sent by registered post, I cant confirm that it arrived however. I thought I'd send it to my husband so he could send it to them because I read that people doing from overseas are having massive delays. I'm not sure if I should start the Visa process because this could take longer than expected, is everyone having delays with passport applications?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Also, we are staying with his parents at first but plan on moving out soon after, so when it comes to proof of accommodation, should we make a tenancy letter or is the land registry enough?
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 7:41 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeHorne
Yeah it was sent by registered post, I cant confirm that it arrived however. I thought I'd send it to my husband so he could send it to them because I read that people doing from overseas are having massive delays. I'm not sure if I should start the Visa process because this could take longer than expected, is everyone having delays with passport applications?
I think you're conflating several things there. There are no delays in passport processing for applicants born in low risk countries/circumstances. There are severe delays in overseas spouse visa processing for countries whose applications are assessed in Sheffield. I'm not aware of any delays for consular birth registration. All three are processed by separate agencies and are not connected.

Originally Posted by LeeHorne
Also, we are staying with his parents at first but plan on moving out soon after, so when it comes to proof of accommodation, should we make a tenancy letter or is the land registry enough?
A copy of the land registry certificate together with a signed letter giving you permission to stay there and copies of their passports should suffice. It's also a good idea to provide photographs of the house to show there is enough space to house you.