definition of crown service?

Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:50 am
Just Joined

caspar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default definition of crown service?

Hi, so many informed people here I thought i'd ask the hive-mind, though this is a long shot. I am hoping to get british citizenship for my sister (born 1986 in australia)

I cannot find details of what exactly qualifies as crown service... In the 1981 british nationality act it says: "(a) Crown service under the government of the United Kingdom or of a qualifying territory"

My father was born in Australia 1948 while my grandfather (born in 1915 in london) was major in the australian army between 1940 and 1957 and was deployed with the british army in malaya at the time of my father's birth.

the act goes on to say that evidence of "(4) A certificate given by or on behalf of the Secretary of State that a person was at any time in Crown service under the government of the United Kingdom or that a person's recruitment for such service took place in the United Kingdom shall, for the purposes of this Act, be conclusive evidence of that fact."

i am wondering if this would allow my father to be british otherwise than by descent.

yours thoughts on this would be most helpful.

thanks
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:10 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: definition of crown service?

do try my recommend site www.immigrationboards.com
No financial interest just lots of knowledgeable folk
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find that the definition of a "qualifying territory" comes from the British Overseas Territories Act 2002.

An Ancestry Visa looks like an option for your sister, however.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 4:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Would be interesting to explore whether the grandfather might be considered to be in UK Crown Service, although there might be an issue with "recruitment in the United Kingdom".
Old Feb 18th 2011, 5:03 am
Just Joined

caspar is an unknown quantity at this point

the 1948 act says under S5(1)(c)
that person's father is, at the time of the birth, in Crown service under His Majesty's government in the United Kingdom ; or
so, for the 1948 act, recruited in the United Kingdom doesn't matter.

I am assuming here that "in the United Kingdom" refers to any service for the United Kingdom, not necessary physically present in the UK...

I read an old forum post here and am curious why he would be otherwise than by descent after 1983?

any ideas? thanks!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 1:43 am
JAJ
Retired

The link does not work.

The "recruited in the United Kingdom" issue only came in in 1983, but it's relevant because it helps to determine some people as British "otherwise than by descent" since 1983.