Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

DCF to USA but also applying for dual citizenship UK/USA?

DCF to USA but also applying for dual citizenship UK/USA?

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

pettle is an unknown quantity at this point
Question DCF to USA but also applying for dual citizenship UK/USA?

I am USC married to a UKC for almost 3 years now and am currently in the UK with my husband/son on ILR visa and we want to move to the US with help from my grandparents for sponsoring. I am not eligable to apply for dual citizenship until October but we would like to apply for my husbands visa (DCF) in about a month or so. I want dual citizenship in case we decide to move back or to make visiting easier as my husbands grandparents are very ill and will most likely need to come back at some point but we want to live closer to my family back in the US. I was wondering if its possible for me to apply for dual citizenship while his visa is pending or not and maybe instead of attending the ceremony in London I could attend it in NYC or somewhere closer to home in the US? I don't know if this will mess up with our proof of domicile in the US or cause confusion and I know you need to show proof of intent to stay in the UK for dual citizenship but was just on a similar thread (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708486) stating this might be possible? Has anyone else done this or heard of this? I don't want to ruin our chances of getting his visa but this would be ideal seeing as though I don't know where we will be in the future and it seems a waste of money and time to not get the dual now? Thank you for any advice in advance
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:46 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DCF to USA but also applying for dual citizenship UK/USA?

The US authorities would not know you had applied for UK citizenship, how could they? So I don't see it as a problem. Not sure how long UK citizenship applications are taking atm but I think it is 2-3 months. As the DCF process is longer than this, you should be able to have your citizenship ceremony before you get the US visa anyway.

I believe the local councils have a service to notarise your foreign passport for the UK naturalisation process so that you don't need to send it off.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

shadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really niceshadowmeister is just really nice

Originally Posted by pettle
I am USC married to a UKC for almost 3 years now and am currently in the UK with my husband/son on ILR visa and we want to move to the US with help from my grandparents for sponsoring. I am not eligable to apply for dual citizenship until October but we would like to apply for my husbands visa (DCF) in about a month or so. I want dual citizenship in case we decide to move back or to make visiting easier as my husbands grandparents are very ill and will most likely need to come back at some point but we want to live closer to my family back in the US. I was wondering if its possible for me to apply for dual citizenship while his visa is pending or not and maybe instead of attending the ceremony in London I could attend it in NYC or somewhere closer to home in the US? I don't know if this will mess up with our proof of domicile in the US or cause confusion and I know you need to show proof of intent to stay in the UK for dual citizenship but was just on a similar thread (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708486) stating this might be possible? Has anyone else done this or heard of this? I don't want to ruin our chances of getting his visa but this would be ideal seeing as though I don't know where we will be in the future and it seems a waste of money and time to not get the dual now? Thank you for any advice in advance
I have dual citizenship but it is because i was born in UK but my parents are USC . but maybe it depends on how you get your UK citizenship. but my only concern would be to make sure you have needed passport when embassy needs to see them. Not sure if that helps
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesn't matter how you got your UK citizenship, naturalising is fine. Many people on here have dual US/UK citizenship and neither the UK nor the US disallow dual citizenship. Or even triple etc.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pettle
I was wondering if its possible for me to apply for dual citizenship while his visa is pending...
Yes, that won't be a problem at all.

... and maybe instead of attending the ceremony in London I could attend it in NYC or somewhere closer to home in the US?
That's not going to happen. The ceremony will be in the UK.

.... was just on a similar thread (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708486) stating this might be possible?
Meauxna's a smart cookie, but my take is that you still need to return to the UK for the ceremony.

I don't want to ruin our chances of getting his visa...
You applying for UK citizenship will have no affect whatsoever on his visa.

Ian
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I think Meuxana is right unless things have changed.

I believe that you must be in the UK at the start of the process but it can be completed overseas.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

pettle is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for your replies, i joined diveintoamerica and they said i could attend the ceremony in the US, as many other threads are about the same thing so now im not so worried about it. I just need to be in the UK for the beginning of it, and as its not a requirement for spouse's of UK citizens to intend to live in the UK I am allowed to attend the ceremony in the US after informing them of a change of address.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Qube is an unknown quantity at this point

We're doing something very similar, just applied for my wife to get UK Citizenship. We're hoping to leave this country around September so we're really hoping for an 8-10 week turnaround as some people are experiencing at the moment. I've also read that you can complete your ceremony in the US, though the woman at the NCS service we used (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...vicelocations/) said we had to have the ceremony here. Either way we'll work around it but it sounds like you can have the ceremony overseas, but it would be nice to have it done and dusted before we leave. We looked into doing it earlier in the year but were misinformed and told we couldn't do it, when in reality we could so now it's all a bit of a rush.

I'd recommend using NCS as they make copies of your documents and send those off instead of the originals. Obviously I need my passport to complete my visa application for the US, so applying by post was not an option.