This could go either way!

Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:10 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This could go either way!

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I lived in Oz for 21yrs so I'm 'pretty' familiar with how it works thanks The question I was actually answering was about comparable costs of private health, not comparisons of Medicare vs NHS (but experience with the NHS when I have used it far exceeds most of my experiences Medicare).

You're trying to tell me that you've had all that done on private health in Oz with no gap at all?

Thanks for the best wishes, I'm sure it will go well (at least for one of us)
We use Medicare. We have no private at all.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:12 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
My assumption came from the same place most assumptions come from.

What is the primary method of "paying" for health care in Australia for most people? Is it a free at point of delivery system like the UK?
We have Medicare which is paid for by general taxation. Contributions are about 1% or 2% I think. We've been very impressed so far, but then I was always impressed with the NHS, on the whole.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
We use Medicare. We have no private at all.
Then you're paying a lot more than the Medicare levy as you're being fined 1% of your annual salary for not having private (unless that's changed?)
Old Dec 19th 2012, 2:38 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hope all is Ok with you
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Hope all is Ok with you
Well, you know, it's not a normal week at Chez TB without a trip to the hospital

Mon morning got up, showered and dressed for work. Just about finished my brekkie and with about 15mins to spare before I left for work, I started to feel like I had a stitch. 2 mins later I was rolling on the floor in absolute agony and the left lower abdomen felt like it had been stuck with a hot poker.

20 mins later it had gone off the scale and I was writhing around, throwing up uncontrollably. 10 mins later I'm being whisked off to hospital in an ambulance with the siren going!

Ambulance crew were not sure what was wrong but told Mrs TB to pack a bag as I would obviously be going straight in for some kind of surgery and be in for a while. Lots of pain relievers and meds later, and after some tests and scans, things had settled down and by 2pm I felt absolutely fine.

Turns out I have two stones in my kidney and one of them decided to move down the road a bit, man that's some full on pain Drs reckon it will disintegrate or will be passed relatively unnoticed (yeah right!).

Been fine since!
Old Dec 21st 2012, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sheesh TB cant win a trick can you? Better stay in UK if you are going to have this close relationship with ambulances and A&E! Hope 2013 is a much better year for you!
Old Dec 21st 2012, 11:25 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Kidney stones are very painful, TB. Hope it moves on without too much more of that!

Bev
Old Dec 21st 2012, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Well, you know, it's not a normal week at Chez TB without a trip to the hospital

Mon morning got up, showered and dressed for work. Just about finished my brekkie and with about 15mins to spare before I left for work, I started to feel like I had a stitch. 2 mins later I was rolling on the floor in absolute agony and the left lower abdomen felt like it had been stuck with a hot poker.

20 mins later it had gone off the scale and I was writhing around, throwing up uncontrollably. 10 mins later I'm being whisked off to hospital in an ambulance with the siren going!

Ambulance crew were not sure what was wrong but told Mrs TB to pack a bag as I would obviously be going straight in for some kind of surgery and be in for a while. Lots of pain relievers and meds later, and after some tests and scans, things had settled down and by 2pm I felt absolutely fine.

Turns out I have two stones in my kidney and one of them decided to move down the road a bit, man that's some full on pain Drs reckon it will disintegrate or will be passed relatively unnoticed (yeah right!).

Been fine since!
Know what you mean. I have the tea shirt! One lady said as a comparison, I will take child birth anytime, it is less painful.
One of my stones was so painful and the doctor wouldn't give me a pain killer
even after I had pleaded with him. I think he was thinking, "whats it worth to you" He billed me $250. That was about 15 years ago. I'll have to pay that some day.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Re, Stones.
Drink water until you feel like you are drowning. That will take care of them.
That's my experience
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Triboy,

I have just put an update thread and I am heading back to Canada. I hope you are doing better now after the last operation.

Good luck
Old Jan 12th 2013, 12:00 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

WOW Tr1Boy, I hope you feel a bit better now- I'm glad to hear that it was just a kidney stone the last time around, although my flatmate had one once and we thought she was dying!

Its so sweet that you want to make sure the Mrs. is happy (my dad would agree- when my mum's happy, we all are!) but how do you feel about potentially going back to Oz? Was life okay for you there? It sounds like you prefer it here a bit. Either way, I'll be rooting for you to find whichever place makes you both the happiest!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tel8
WOW Tr1Boy, I hope you feel a bit better now- I'm glad to hear that it was just a kidney stone the last time around, although my flatmate had one once and we thought she was dying!

Its so sweet that you want to make sure the Mrs. is happy (my dad would agree- when my mum's happy, we all are!) but how do you feel about potentially going back to Oz? Was life okay for you there? It sounds like you prefer it here a bit. Either way, I'll be rooting for you to find whichever place makes you both the happiest!
Thanks for those kind words

I don't think I will feel any different about Oz when we go back, as I never really enjoyed it in the way most folks do. But I always did ok there in terms of friends, career etc. I've spent nearly half of my life there (I'm 46 and was there 21yrs).

I think what will change though is how I react to being there. I'm much more inclined to go with the flow of life nowadays and 'what will be will be' kind of thing.

I'm going back to some great friends (and fellow competitors), we have all the business contacts we need and are liquid enough to set ourselves up in a modest way. So it's very low risk, but then again so is staying here, just a question of what works for us.

I've had my UK fix and if Oz will be home in the future, I do feel that being here and getting through the surgeries has actually made me stronger on the one hand, and more carefree on the other.

Can't say I'll ever embrace living in Oz in my inner heart, but I won't rail against it either