Advice on Extending Visa/ Staying Longer

Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

JoeMD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Extending Visa/ Staying Longer

Hello folks,

So I'm not a British expat but an Australian currently living and working in the UK, however, I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out as I've not idea where to go for help (the UK Immigration site isn't very easy to follow).

I am currently on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa working as a Cover Supervisor at a school in Oxford. My visa expires on the 14th March, 2018, however, I'd like to extend my stay. I inquired at my work about sponsorship but they turned the request down.

The issue is that I have met someone I would like to be with, however we are not sure if we are ready for marriage yet as we've only been together about 18 months and have not yet lived together. In short, we would like more time to see how things go before making such a big decision.

I am aware of the fiancé visa, but it does not allow you to work while on it and we could not afford to support ourselves on just my partner's salary alone. Given that sponsorship has been denied and the fiancé visa is not viable, I was wondering if there is any other course I might be able to take to extens my stay in the UK and still be able to work?

Any help would be REALLY appreciated, and apologies for the long post.

Cheers.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Extending Visa/ Staying Longer

One option on would be to obtain a work visa via a company that would sponsor you for a Tier 2 visa. Unfortunately, this visa is for specific jobs and usually experienced people.

Take a look at the short list for occupations for this job.

UK Tier 2 Shortage Occupation List | Workpermit.com

Are you eligible for an Ancestry visa?

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa

You would need to apply from your home country if you are eligible, but since the Ancestry visa is usually obtained within a couple of months this is not such a hardship.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 11:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Visa-wise you've probably covered all your options. Do you have any recent British, Irish or other European ancestry? Parents, grandparents (or even great-grandparents in limited circumstances) who were born in Europe?
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:18 am
Just Joined

JoeMD is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, no. While I do have British and Scottish ancestry it's from several generations ago, certainly not as recent as great grandparents.

So then marriage is the only option?
Old Oct 6th 2017, 8:34 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeMD
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, no. While I do have British and Scottish ancestry it's from several generations ago, certainly not as recent as great grandparents.

So then marriage is the only option?
Unless you can find an employer willing to sponsor you for a Tier 2 visa or you wish to join the British Armed Forces as a Commonwealth citizen.