Considering Coming Home

Old Nov 25th 2016, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Jay_Johnson76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering Coming Home

So, Hello, first post here.

I am seriously considering coming home. I know I won't be living in London,not a chance, but I do want to come home, (my parents are nearly 80 and I've been away for 16 years).

I served in the US military and became a citizen, but due to a severe injury, I am now a 100% disabled Vet, reciving Vets Disability Pay. This wouldn't change, if I did move home and the VA would still be responsible for my healthcare.

Also, I know I earn enough that there would be no issue for my wife, who is a US Citizen, but I would need a visa. Can anyone provide any advice? I'm very nervous about the idea of the move, but I really want to go home, as I've really not seen my nephews in 15 years and my parents are aging now.

Thoughts,

Jay
Old Nov 25th 2016, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Coming Home

Hi...welcome to BE Jay.

As you are enquiring about a visa for your USC wife...I have moved your thread over to the UK Immigration forum.

While you wait for responses I suggest you take a read through this...

Spouse Immigration-UK : British Expat Wiki
Old Nov 25th 2016, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You say that you earn enough that there would be no issues for your wife.

So presuming that you know all about the financial requirements to obtain a UK settlement visa you should read the following website to see how you apply:

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

There are financial, relationship and accommodation criteria. The following document gives you all the details of the financial requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

If your wife has European ancestry and could obtain a European passport that would eliminate the need to get a visa.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 6:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

As long as your disabled vet's pay exceeds £18,600 a visa for your wife should be little more than a formality.

As SDG said, if your wife has access to a European passport, such as Irish or Italian, that would be a cheaper route to getting your wife permission to live in the UK.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Jay_Johnson76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You say that you earn enough that there would be no issues for your wife.

So presuming that you know all about the financial requirements to obtain a UK settlement visa you should read the following website to see how you apply:

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

There are financial, relationship and accommodation criteria. The following document gives you all the details of the financial requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

If your wife has European ancestry and could obtain a European passport that would eliminate the need to get a visa.
Based on current exchange rates and the 18000-19000 income requirement, I get disability that is approx 36-40k GBP dependnding on exchange rates. HEr family line DOES go back to Columbus, but nothing recent.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

But it would mean that the EEA citizen would have to be a "qualified person" at all times to be exercising their treaty rights, which then gives them a right to reside in the UK. There are strict rules to follow and just living in the UK or being married to a British citizen, is not being a qualified person.

With 5 years minimum of EU laws needed in the UK and with a Brexit looming, it is doubtful if they will be 5 years of EU laws left and she would then have to see if she is offered anything. Much safer to enter under UK immigration laws.

Last edited by formula; Nov 26th 2016 at 9:06 am.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 1:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
But it would mean that the EEA citizen would have to be a "qualified person" at all times to be exercising their treaty rights, which then gives them a right to reside in the UK. There are strict rules to follow and just living in the UK or being married to a British citizen, is not being a qualified person.

With 5 years minimum of EU laws needed in the UK and with a Brexit looming, it is doubtful if they will be 5 years of EU laws left and she would then have to see if she is offered anything. Much safer to enter under UK immigration laws.
Depends on the nationality involved. If the OP's wife wife was entitled to a British or Irish passport then that wouldn't be the case. Any other nationality, then yes, she would need to be a qualified person, but if her intention was to work or be self-sufficient based on the OP's income and willing to purchase CSI, then it still remains a lot cheaper and easier to go down that route providing the move is made before the Brexit negotiations are complete. It remains very unlikely that she would not be included in transitional arrangements and even if that was the case, in a worst case scenario, she could then switch onto a spouse visa.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay_Johnson76
Based on current exchange rates and the 18000-19000 income requirement, I get disability that is approx 36-40k GBP dependnding on exchange rates. HEr family line DOES go back to Columbus, but nothing recent.
Sounds like you qualify under the financial requirements then with that amount of income/pension/benefits