Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Complex situation regarding partner's chances to get family visa

Complex situation regarding partner's chances to get family visa

Old Nov 7th 2022, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Arthnr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Complex situation regarding partner's chances to get family visa

My situation is quite complex, and I have little idea about how to move. I am an EU citizen with pre-settled status, have been living in the UK for 2.5 years. My partner (unmarried) is instead an Hong Kong citizen, currently in UK with a working holiday visa, which is going to expire at the beginning of April.
As Covid made her difficult to get to the UK at the beginning on the visa, unfortunately in April we would miss the cohabitation requirement for the family visa by around 3 months. Furthermore, she is pregnant, and due to deliver in mid-May (according to NHS documents), unfortunately again too late to use the child status (who would probably get EU pre-settled status) to get the family visa.
I would therefore like to ask some advice regarding the situation, for instance whether there are chances to get any applications approved under exceptional circumstances.
Old Nov 7th 2022, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complex situation regarding partner's chances to get family visa

Get married and apply for spouse visa......
Old Nov 7th 2022, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Get married and apply for spouse visa......
Marriage or Civil Partnership (not sure which of the two is better) are possibilities, however I would feel frustrated having to resort to those, and all the financial commitment derived by their obligations (and the potential consequences in case of divorce or dissolution), just due to bad luck in timing.
I know I will probably have to get help from an attorney, but I would prefer to know more about my possibilities in advance, as so far I have had very bad luck in general with service contractors in this countries (I have hardly found professional and honest people).
Old Nov 7th 2022, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arthnr
Marriage or Civil Partnership (not sure which of the two is better) are possibilities, however I would feel frustrated having to resort to those, and all the financial commitment derived by their obligations (and the potential consequences in case of divorce or dissolution), just due to bad luck in timing.
I.
........ If I was your girlfriend I would feel very disappointed/unhappy that you feel frustrated 'having to resort to marriage' and all the financial commitments/obligations' in order to keep us and our child together.
Putting your situation all down to 'back luck in timing' is also highly questionable.
Old Nov 7th 2022, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

........ If I was your girlfriend I would feel very disappointed/unhappy that you feel frustrated 'having to resort to marriage' and all the financial commitments/obligations' in order to keep us and our child together.
Putting your situation all down to 'back luck in timing' is also highly questionable.
I understand your concern, I was indeed considering a religious marriage without civil effect as the most suitable for my religious and political believes, therefore I have motivations why I would not want to marry or enter a civil partnership.
Old Nov 7th 2022, 6:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed! Arthnr's situation appears to be an inconvenience and a cause of annoyance.

Getting married would solve most of his issues and I am not sure why, under the circumnstances of being the father of his gf's baby he would be looking for alternatives?
Old Nov 7th 2022, 6:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arthnr
I understand your concern, I was indeed considering a religious marriage without civil effect as the most suitable for my religious and political believes, therefore I have motivations why I would not want to marry or enter a civil partnership.
Not sure what you mean by 'religious marriage without civil effect', but it would have to be a proper marriage (i.e. legally binding) for the visa.

Surely you've already got 'financial commitments/obligations' if you're having a child together? A much bigger commitment than marriage!