Complex - Am I British Citizen by Descent?

Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

rbrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Complex - Am I British Citizen by Descent?

I am wondering if I can get British Citizenship by descent.

I was born in 73 in Australia.

My mother was and always has been British. She was born in 1946 in Israel. Her father was serving there in the British Army. Her father was born in Germany but got British citizenship by descent.

I am trying to determine if my mother got her citizenship other than by descent because:

- Her father was serving in the British Army posted in Israel
- Israel was under the "British Mandate of Palestine" at the time

I was reading this post over here but it doesn't clarify it for me:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683055

Any ideas?
Old Aug 21st 2011, 8:19 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complex - Am I British Citizen by Descent?

Originally Posted by fulwood
?
Weird huh?
No help from me about your Citizenship OP maybe JAJ will be along soon.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complex - Am I British Citizen by Descent?

Originally Posted by rbrown
I am wondering if I can get British Citizenship by descent.

I was born in 73 in Australia.

My mother was and always has been British. She was born in 1946 in Israel. Her father was serving there in the British Army. Her father was born in Germany but got British citizenship by descent.

I am trying to determine if my mother got her citizenship other than by descent because:

- Her father was serving in the British Army posted in Israel
- Israel was under the "British Mandate of Palestine" at the time
You're almost certainly are not a British citizen but you MIGHT be eligible to apply for British citizenship under the UKM provisions.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...britishmother/

Regarding requirement 2, you may be in luck because although your mother was a Citizen of the UK & Colonies (CUKC) by descent, she was born in Palestine while it was under a British mandate (until 15 May 1948).

See section 5 of the British Nationality Act 1948:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...9480056_en.pdf

As a result, since your mother was born in Palestine and was a CUKC, you would have been a CUKC if the law had been different when you were born in 1973.

However, there is a THIRD requirement you need to meet, which is that you need to show that you would have had Right of Abode before 1983 if you had been a CUKC. One grandparent born in the UK will be enough - your grandfather born in Germany won't count, but were any of your other grandparents born in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man?