Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Clarification on process - UK Fiance Visa, then Spouse Visa from Canada

Clarification on process - UK Fiance Visa, then Spouse Visa from Canada

Old Jun 24th 2018, 10:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarification on process - UK Fiance Visa, then Spouse Visa from Canada

Originally Posted by Srna78
An update-I payed and send them confirmation of my payment, together with pointing out my status, that I'm a fiancé and that I applied to marry and settle after marriage. They replied that they r sorry for confusion and that they will start the refund process immediately. I received my money after a week.
Glad to hear it!
Old Aug 7th 2018, 6:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarification on process - UK Fiance Visa, then Spouse Visa from Canada

Originally Posted by BritInParis

The problem with that is that you need to show you have made arrangements for your wedding before you can apply and you need to be free to marry in order to make the arrangements so effectively yes, you need the decree absolute in hand before making the application.
ARGH!! I have confused myself totally somewhere - application is for a Settlement Partner visa, to come to the UK, marry and settle. NOT a Marriage Visitor Visa.
So.....can the Canadian apply for and get the Settlement Visa and travel to the UK WITHOUT making any marriage arrangements first? In other words, when they apply for the Settlement Visa, do they need to include any proof of booking the ceremony, interviews with celebrant etc or can they sort all that out once they have landed?
Old Aug 7th 2018, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
ARGH!! I have confused myself totally somewhere - application is for a Settlement Partner visa, to come to the UK, marry and settle. NOT a Marriage Visitor Visa.
So.....can the Canadian apply for and get the Settlement Visa and travel to the UK WITHOUT making any marriage arrangements first? In other words, when they apply for the Settlement Visa, do they need to include any proof of booking the ceremony, interviews with celebrant etc or can they sort all that out once they have landed?
In order to verify that it is a genuine relationship, it is recommended that proof of a wedding to take place is provided.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 7:55 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
In order to verify that it is a genuine relationship, it is recommended that proof of a wedding to take place is provided.
But no actual requirement to have the ceremony booked?
Old Aug 7th 2018, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

But no actual requirement to have the ceremony booked?
Probably not.... but they are looking for some evidence that you are intending to get married within the 6 months the fiance visa gives you; contacting marriage venues and officiants etc.
Old Aug 7th 2018, 8:19 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Probably not.... but they are looking for some evidence that you are intending to get married within the 6 months the fiance visa gives you; contacting marriage venues and officiants etc.
Great, thanks for that
Old Oct 10th 2018, 1:33 am
Just Joined

FilBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Great, thanks for that

Hi Pollyana,

I just want to ask on how was your application going?
Have you applyed for it yet?
If yes...did you get the result?
Would you mind me asking for your timeline of application? I am also planning to apply for the same visa but trying to consider the processing time.😅

I appreciate your reply
Old Oct 10th 2018, 6:49 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by FilBrit
Hi Pollyana,

I just want to ask on how was your application going?
Have you applyed for it yet?
If yes...did you get the result?
Would you mind me asking for your timeline of application? I am also planning to apply for the same visa but trying to consider the processing time.😅

I appreciate your reply
Can't help much I'm afraid, the queries were on behalf of a friend who is hoping to marry a Canadian. I've given them all the info and links tothe thread, but sofar I don't believe they have completed the application.

There is a Timeline thread in the forum and there are some Canadians in that so you shoud get an idea from there.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 9:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the Timeline thread that Pollyana refers to - UK Spouse Visa STRICTLY TIMELINES ONLY - NO CHAT

You can use the search box (top right of the thread) to search it, although do remember that everybody's situation is different, so somebody else's timeline won't necessarily be the same (or even similar) as yours.

Good luck.
Old Feb 16th 2019, 1:12 pm
Home and Happy

Quickie for the knowledgable ones out there - National Insurance numbers.

Obviously the fiance visa holder can't work until the FLR (M) comes through, but can she apply for an NI number in advance? Or does she need to wait for the visa grant?

Cheers
Old Feb 16th 2019, 1:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Quickie for the knowledgable ones out there - National Insurance numbers.

Obviously the fiance visa holder can't work until the FLR (M) comes through, but can she apply for an NI number in advance? Or does she need to wait for the visa grant?

Cheers
She can apply in advance.
Old Feb 17th 2019, 1:15 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by BritInParis
She can apply in advance.
Thanks matey!
Old May 23rd 2019, 12:48 pm
Home and Happy

Hey guys, back for another bit of info please as I can't find the answer in black and white and so I have a panicky Canadian to deal with.
She is on a Fiance Visa, they have got married, submitted the FLR(M) application approx 4 weeks ago (mid April).
Fiance Visa expiry date is June 19th.
I think she is safe to stay onshore until the FLR(M) decision is made, she thinks if there is no decision by June 19th she may have to leave the UK......

Thanks muchly!
Old May 23rd 2019, 12:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, back for another bit of info please as I can't find the answer in black and white and so I have a panicky Canadian to deal with.
She is on a Fiance Visa, they have got married, submitted the FLR(M) application approx 4 weeks ago (mid April).
Fiance Visa expiry date is June 19th.
I think she is safe to stay onshore until the FLR(M) decision is made, she thinks if there is no decision by June 19th she may have to leave the UK......

Thanks muchly!
Yes Polly, she's fine to stay in the UK until the visa decision is made You're a good mate to help her out.
Old May 23rd 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Yes Polly, she's fine to stay in the UK until the visa decision is made You're a good mate to help her out.
Correct, and very importantly, if she does leave the UK before a decision is made then her application will automatically be considered to have been withdrawn. In short she needs to sit tight and not make any travel plans until her spouse BRP arrives in the post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.