Clarification on EEA Family Permit

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

EDABZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clarification on EEA Family Permit

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit

Reading the above, one part says

An EEA family permit is valid for six months. You can leave and enter the UK as many times as you need within that time.
Then it says
What you can and can’t do
You can only use a family permit once.

You’ll need to get a new permit every time you leave and want to re-enter the country.

You must get your permit before travelling to the UK.
I'm confused. One hand it says freedom to go in and out of UK for 6 months and then it says about the needing a new permit for multiple leave/entry.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 10:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarification on EEA Family Permit

Yes that's as clear as mud isn't it? It should be valid for up to six months. If you leave the UK after that time you will need to reapply.

What you should do however is apply for a residence card as soon as you enter the UK for the first time. It'll take around three months and you'll have to give up your passport during this time but the residence card will last for five years and you will be able to come and go as you please during this time.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry for butting in but it says on that link:

You can also apply for an EEA family permit if you’re the main carer of:

a British citizen

So as my wife (non-eu citizen) is the carer of my British son why can't she apply? Isn't my son classed as a British citizen and she's the main carer?
Or isn't a mother classed as a carer?
Don't laugh but don't I have a point?
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:19 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
sorry for butting in but it says on that link:

You can also apply for an EEA family permit if you’re the main carer of:

a British citizen

So as my wife (non-eu citizen) is the carer of my British son why can't she apply? Isn't my son classed as a British citizen and she's the main carer?
Or isn't a mother classed as a carer?
Don't laugh but don't I have a point?
EEA permits are not granted to citizens within their own countries. Unless they have exercised treaty rights by living and working in another EU country.

You've been down this road before.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
EEA permits are not granted to citizens within their own countries. Unless they have exercised treaty rights by living and working in another EU country.

You've been down this road before.
I know sorry. Worth a look though.
Was thinking if my wife is the main carer as it says 'main carer' ...
Nevermind.
Old Apr 4th 2014, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Off the top of my head, for the "main carer" cases the situation is slightly different. (For the technically minded it's Zambrano at work here) If the effect of her leaving the UK would be that your son had to leave the EU then she could claim a permit. If you are still in the UK and could theoretically look after your son (or could stay in the UK with him) this won't apply.