Citizenship through double descent

Old Jan 25th 2019, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Natalie775 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship through double descent

Hi,

I would like to check that I qualify for UK citizenship through double descent.
I was born in 1975 in the Netherlands to an Italian father and a British mother. My parents were married.
My mother held a British passport at the time of my birth, and still does.
My mother was born in South Africa in February 1949 to British parents, both my maternal grandparents were born in the UK, so my mother acquired British citizenship through descent. The family went back to the UK before my mother was a year old.
When I was born in the Netherlands my mother contacted the British Consulate there who told her she could not register me. Had she been my father then she could have registered me. I hold an Italian passport and I live in the UK though have only been here 3 years so do not yet qualify for citizenship on that basis.

I just read about the Romein v. Scotland landmark ruling in which Ms Romein acquired UK citizenship by double descent because the gender discriminatory laws were put into question.
Can I now also apply on the same basis? If so, should I use the UKM form? Should I mention the Romein v. Scotland case on a covering letter?
Is there anything else I need to write on a covering letter?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship through double descent

It sounds like you qualify for British citizenship under the Romein case. Just apply using Form UKM and provide the relevant supporting documents and you should be approved.
Old Jan 26th 2019, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Natalie775 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship through double descent

Dear Brit in Paris,
thanks so much for your response!
Hopefully my application will be successful.