Citizenship Opinion: Father & Grandfather british

Old Nov 20th 2014, 1:35 am
Just Joined

DesertDasani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship Opinion: Father & Grandfather british

Having trouble making sense of the myriad of applicable laws.
Would appreciate any opinion folks have on my situation.

I am trying to see if I quality as a British citizen by descent through my Father.
My father became a USA citizen prior to the age of 18. He has recently applied for and received a new British passport. He lived in Hong Kong ~1970 to ~1976.

I believe that the Hong Kong residency introduces some nuances and complications but I am not sure the right questions and information to seek out from here. I believe that my Grandfather and Father may have been naturalized in Hong Kong when they resided there.

Me:
Birthplace: USA
DOB 1987
Citizenship: USA

Father:
Birthplace: South Africa
DOB: 1960

Paternal Grandmother:
Citizenship: South Africa
Lived in Hong Kong ~1968 to ~1976

Paternal Grandfather:
DOB: 1932
Citizenship at Birth: South African.
Naturalized as British Citizen on 1968

My Grandfather:
John Ross Christie
Birthplace: Unknown
DOB: Unknown
Citizenship at Birth: British

Last edited by DesertDasani; Nov 20th 2014 at 1:45 am.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 2:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Opinion: Father & Grandfather british

Originally Posted by DesertDasani
I am trying to see if I quality as a British citizen by descent through my Father.
My father became a USA citizen prior to the age of 18. He has recently applied for and received a new British passport. He lived in Hong Kong ~1970 to ~1976.
Did he receive a British citizen passport, or a passport for another category of British nationality (such as British Overseas citizen)?

I believe that the Hong Kong residency introduces some nuances and complications but I am not sure the right questions and information to seek out from here. I believe that my Grandfather and Father may have been naturalized in Hong Kong when they resided there.

Father:
DOB: 1960

Paternal Grandfather:
DOB: 1932
Citizenship at Birth: South African.
Naturalized as British Citizen on 1968
Except that the term "British Citizen" didn't exist prior to 1983. Do you have a copy of his naturalization certificate? If so, what does it say?

Also, you say he only moved to Hong Kong in 1970, and while he could have been naturalized British while there, it's not clear how that could have occurred before 1975.

My Grandfather:
John Ross Christie
Birthplace: Unknown
DOB: Unknown
Citizenship at Birth: British
Out of interest, how can you know he was British at birth, without knowing where or when he was born?
Old Nov 20th 2014, 2:21 am
Just Joined

Wow thank you for the reply!

I have a scan of the info page of my fathers newly issued passport. It says "there are no official observations". I do not know what the outside says. Is there a way to tell if this is a citizen or BNO passport? I am presuming it would be notated as an observation if it was BNO.

I am trying to get copies of the relevant documents. The dates of hong kong residency are approximate. Since it is relevant I will work to get the specific dates. I have little information on my grandfather and am only going from what I have been told from my father.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 2:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DesertDasani
I have a scan of the info page of my fathers newly issued passport. It says "there are no official observations". I do not know what the outside says. Is there a way to tell if this is a citizen or BNO passport? I am presuming it would be notated as an observation if it was BNO.
IF it was BNO, that would be the Nationality Status on the ID page.
Have you discussed with your father how he happens to be a British citizen/national?
Old Nov 20th 2014, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Looking at some old corrospndence, I believe that my father may be British because he was naturalized while living in Hong Kong. If this is correct, then from what I can tell he is British otherwise than by descent, and thus I am by descent.
Is there anything specific I should look for next? Once I manage to get a copy of his naturalization certificate what am I looking for on that?

Also I overlooked this on the passport before. It clearly says British Citizen.
Old Nov 20th 2014, 11:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need a copy of your father's British citizenship certificate as the details will determine whether you are eligible for a British passport or registration as a British citizen. Ideally it will state the Section and Act of Parliament your father became a British citizen under. The older certificates may not contain this information however and may require further investigation.