Citizenship for my daughter

Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Goldie710 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship for my daughter

My daughter at the moment lives with her mom in the USA. She will be 18 years next year,and want to come and live in the UK. Her Mother and I, and both grandparents are British citizen by birth. So I take it my daughter is british by decent. Can someone tell me what forms my daughter needs to complete. Can she do it through both parents,with all the documents provided. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 31st 2014, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship for my daughter

BritinParis replied earlier to your question about your daughter obtaining a British passport from the USA.

Your daughter is British by descent by all accounts so you can register her birth if not done so, or just apply for the passport direct:

Both birth registrations and passport applications have now been centralised in the UK. Your daughter doesn't need to register her birth in order to obtain a British passport but it does act as standalone evidence of her British citizenship and can be used to obtain a passport without supplying any further documentation.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Oct 31st 2014, 5:15 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

added info to post #2

The forms & notes

http://www.gov.ai/forms/passport/form-c1.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...m-c1-notes.pdf

further info + locations in the USA

How to Renew a U.K. Passport Within the U.S.A. | USA Today
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 9:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
A word to the wise - those links are outdated. You'll need to apply using the online form. All British passport applications are now handled in the UK.
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Not2Old's links are out of date. The UK passport stuff is now handled by post direct to UK. See https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Nov 9th 2014, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Goldie710 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have being told even though my daughter is british by decent,she would need to apply for ILR. That's doesn't sound right. What paperwork does she need to complete to allow her to stay and work in the uk.i am also told she can apply for a passport without registering her birth with the british consulate.any information would be very much appreciate as I am not sure as to what direction to take.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldie710
I have being told even though my daughter is british by decent,she would need to apply for ILR. That's doesn't sound right. What paperwork does she need to complete to allow her to stay and work in the uk.i am also told she can apply for a passport without registering her birth with the british consulate.any information would be very much appreciate as I am not sure as to what direction to take.
If your daughter is British by descent, obtains her British passport then she does not need anything else to live and work in the UK permanently.

Just apply for her passport.

Old Nov 9th 2014, 2:47 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldie710
Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If your daughter is British by descent, obtains her British passport then she does not need anything else to live and work in the UK permanently.

Just apply for her passport.

Being told by whom? Several members have given you the information and links you need. Your daughter is a British citizen by descent. She simply needs to apply for her British passport. Consular birth registration is helpful but not a prerequisite for this process.