Wikiposts

Citizenship - do I, don't I?

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - do I, don't I?

Originally Posted by by the sea side
YEs you have been here long enough have an Australian Husband and child .Go for it.
I certainly am eligible for it. I am hoping to get it and the application process was really quick and easy, I was surprised by that.
The ease of application must mean that Australia wants more citizens, it is actively encouraged. Why is that? As soon as I am accepted, I will have the right to vote. Good thing/bad thing, who knows.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:09 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if the rules are different for a citizen rather than a PR. But for sure once you're a citizen your super is locked up until retirement, even if you return to the UK.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPM
I'm not sure if the rules are different for a citizen rather than a PR. But for sure once you're a citizen your super is locked up until retirement, even if you return to the UK.
Also true if you are PR.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPM
Does that mean then that if I am in the UK I will get my pension in dollars when I am old and knackered.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:24 am
FPM
Banned

FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean then that if I am in the UK I will get my pension in dollars when I am old and knackered.
I would have thought (but don't know) that once your super is available to you, it would be possible to roll it into a UK fund or take as a lump sum transferred. I don't think it would need to stay in Oz once you're legible for it. But I don't know for sure.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Yes, for Australian pensions in payment. But the Australian dollar is a freely convertible currency.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I had my citizenship interview today. It took roughly half an hour, from the time I arrived to the time I left.
I was lucky enough to be interviewed by the really lovely lady who I saw last week to apply for the Citizenship certs for my two boys. She had the certs ready for me and handed them to me when I arrived.
My citizenship was approved there and then, My letter to confirm this will arrive in two to three weeks time and the ceremony will take place in two to three months time.
I was really quite taken aback to be told of my acceptance at the interview itself, not that I didn't think they would accept me, just the efficiency of the whole process was amazing. I thought that there may be futher behind the scenes information gathering or something. I was stunned to find out today in person and not by way of a letter! What a brilliant service, superb and uncomplicated.

Is it usual to be told on the day of the outcome of your application?
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:02 am
FPM
Banned

I was really quite taken aback to be told of my acceptance at the interview itself, not that I didn't think they would accept me, just the efficiency of the whole process was amazing. I thought that there may be futher behind the scenes information gathering or something. I was stunned to find out today in person and not by way of a letter! What a brilliant service, superb and uncomplicated.

Is it usual to be told on the day of the outcome of your application?
That all sounds pretty similar to mine in 2003. Went in, 15 mins later and I was done. All they really wanted to know was if I had the funds. I don't think it's a big deal, you've already qualified for PR so there are no searching questions (perhaps there should be).

I did a seperate piece of paper that bodly asked if I was a member of a terrorist organisation and had to circle 'YES' or 'NO' ( I kid you not).

I think I had my interview in Feb and had my ceremony in April. Now that was a long slog, listening to some council woman bang on and on about what it is to Osstryleuun.

I'm thinking 'yeah I know what it means love, shorter queues at the airport and a frontal lobotomy'. (I'm enjoying the former, have managed to evade the latter, so far )
Old Nov 6th 2006, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FPM
That all sounds pretty similar to mine in 2003. Went in, 15 mins later and I was done. All they really wanted to know was if I had the funds. I don't think it's a big deal, you've already qualified for PR so there are no searching questions (perhaps there should be).

I did a seperate piece of paper that bodly asked if I was a member of a terrorist organisation and had to circle 'YES' or 'NO' ( I kid you not).

I think I had my interview in Feb and had my ceremony in April. Now that was a long slog, listening to some council woman bang on and on about what it is to Osstryleuun.

I'm thinking 'yeah I know what it means love, shorter queues at the airport and a frontal lobotomy'. (I'm enjoying the former, have managed to evade the latter, so far )
Glad she didn't ask me yes/no about funds, they would have to deport me. Although I think the tax man loves me and the hubby, as we keep them well financed.
The ceremony, that is a strange concept. I just had a thought, maybe I could go all patriotic and have it on Australia day. That would be a hoot.
You are right it isn't a big deal at all, it all just seemed a little too easy really. But then I have served five years, they must think I like it here.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 9:27 am
FPM
Banned

Glad she didn't ask me yes/no about funds, they would have to deport me. Although I think the tax man loves me and the hubby, as we keep them well financed.
The ceremony, that is a strange concept. I just had a thought, maybe I could go all patriotic and have it on Australia day. That would be a hoot.
You are right it isn't a big deal at all, it all just seemed a little too easy really. But then I have served five years, they must think I like it here.
Nah I meant the funds just for the application, I can't remember now but I think it was about $250? I thought I might feel differently about Oz once I had it, but I didn't.

BTW if you are overseas and get involved in a diplomatic 'incident' in the case of dual citizens it always reverts back to your original citizenship. In other words, contact the British Embassy. I didn't know that, but I read it in the handbook they give you.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FPM
Nah I meant the funds just for the application, I can't remember now but I think it was about $250? I thought I might feel differently about Oz once I had it, but I didn't.

BTW if you are overseas and get involved in a diplomatic 'incident' in the case of dual citizens it always reverts back to your original citizenship. In other words, contact the British Embassy. I didn't know that, but I read it in the handbook they give you.
Ah, I see! It was $120.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 11:53 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by FPM
That is not true and I would be surprised if any Australian government publication would say that.

In reality if you enter another country on an Australian passport, you will be entitled to Australian consular protection.

What you CANNOT do as a dual British/Australian citizen is access Australian consular protection in the United Kingdom
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:08 pm
FPM
Banned

Originally Posted by JAJ
That is not true and I would be surprised if any Australian government publication would say that.

In reality if you enter another country on an Australian passport, you will be entitled to Australian consular protection.

What you CANNOT do as a dual British/Australian citizen is access Australian consular protection in the United Kingdom
So what, you're calling me a liar?

It was true when I READ IT (why do people think putting something in upper case some how makes their case ) in my citizenship handbook in 2003.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by FPM
It was true when I READ IT (why do people think putting something in upper case some how makes their case ) in my citizenship handbook in 2003.
It's never been true.

If you enter a country on an Australian passport then any other citizenship you hold is irrelevant (provided it's not citizenship of that country).
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by FPM

"Australia seeks to extend to all its citizens, including dual nationals, the full range of consular assistance.

However, under international law, countries are not obliged to recognise dual nationality.

* A country may not permit Australian consular assistance to be given to Australian citizens who, according to its laws, it considers and treats as its own nationals.
* Or, a person might not be regarded as being an Australian if that person is not travelling on their Australian passport, which may also limit the provision of consular assistance."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.