British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Citizenship for Aussie with British father pre 1978 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/citizenship-aussie-british-father-pre-1978-a-916952/)

Brisbanebrit Sep 5th 2018 11:39 pm

Citizenship for Aussie with British father pre 1978

Hi All,

Many will know we've been through the wringer with my husband's spouse visa, we will shortly be looking into his application for UKM, but we have persuaded his mother to look into her citizenship options too. I have a couple of questions that are confusing me and I want to understand exactly what I need to do before I explain them to her.

Born 1946 in AU to an English born father. Not registered as British at the time. Is she still British by descent if she wasnt registered within a year of her birth? If so do we just apply for her passport as we did for my Australian born children? If not, do we have options for her?

Many thanks in advance.

BritInParis Sep 5th 2018 11:41 pm

Re: Citizenship for Aussie with British father pre 1978

Providing her father was married to her mother then she’s already a British citizen and she can just apply for her passport like your children did.

Brisbanebrit Sep 5th 2018 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12559174)
Providing her father was married to her mother then she’s already a British citizen and she can just apply for her passport like your children did.

They were, but in Australia, though I don't suppose that matters, it's just that she wasn't illegitimate.

That's brilliant news, she is nervous about a long drawn out process having watched us bite our nails for 3 months so she will be pleased that it's easy. Assuming we just have to prove the marriage of the parents, her birth to said parents and her father's birth and death certs?

Thank you BiP

BritInParis Sep 6th 2018 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Brisbanebrit (Post 12559176)
They were, but in Australia, though I don't suppose that matters, it's just that she wasn't illegitimate.

That's brilliant news, she is nervous about a long drawn out process having watched us bite our nails for 3 months so she will be pleased that it's easy. Assuming we just have to prove the marriage of the parents, her birth to said parents and her father's birth and death certs?

Thank you BiP

You’ll need her full Australian birth certificate, her marriage/divorce certificate(s) (for change(s) of name), her father’s full British certificate and her parents’ marriage certificate. If she has an Australian passport then she should include a photocopy of that as well.

Brisbanebrit Sep 6th 2018 1:53 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12559181)
You’ll need her full Australian birth certificate, her marriage/divorce certificate(s) (for change(s) of name), her father’s full British certificate and her parents’ marriage certificate. If she has an Australian passport then she should include a photocopy of that as well.

​​​​​​Just starting the application and it says was the applicant a British national at birth, is that yes, under the British subject proviso?

BritInParis Sep 6th 2018 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Brisbanebrit (Post 12559201)
​​​​​​Just starting the application and it says was the applicant a British national at birth, is that yes, under the British subject proviso?

Yes. It would only be no if someone acquired British nationality through naturalisation or registration.