Citizenship after successfull spouse VISA route

Old Jul 4th 2022, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

john.wright is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Citizenship after successfull spouse VISA route

Dear all,

This is the first time posting on this forum but have been have often taken guidance and insight from the threads during my partner’s spouse VISA application service I am looking for some advice regarding citizenship and name change for my stepson (who I will now refer to as my son although I am not his birth father). Let me summarise our situation below.

My partner and my son arrived in the UK in September 2017 under the spouse visa route, with my son as my partner’s dependent. In September 2021, they successfully completed the spouse visa route and were granted indefinite leave to remain. Their country of origin is Chile. I am a British national.

Nearly one year down the line, we are looking at the next steps, namely citizenship, changing my son’s last name to mine, and me officially adopting him. Really I need advice on the two former points, but all of the above is the ultimate goal.

Regarding citizenship, we are really only interested in getting British citizenship for my son, not my partner. My first question is, can we apply for British citizenship only for my son, and not my partner? If not, does it make any difference that we have an official shared responsibility agreement signed in the UK? I.e. can we make the application through my name as I am on the agreement?

Regarding the name change, can we get his name changed by deed poll in the UK without him being a British Citizen, i.e. only with having IRL?

As mentioned, finally I would be looking to adopt him. We may also consider adoption without the name change/ citizenship. Understand people may not be so informed on the topic of adoption but though I would include it anyway.

I suppose it does not really matter what way around we do it, i.e. citizenship then name change or vice versa, but really looking for the most successful way of achieving our goals.

Many thanks in advance for all and any advice received,

With kind regards,

John