Citizen by descent

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 12:49 am
Just Joined

aes2253 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizen by descent

Hi everyone:

I am a British citizen by birth (born in UK with British parents) we moved to US in 1966. I have 3-children born before 1983 and from what I understand they are British by descent but they have to register. Has anyone gone through this and if so how difficult is it?

Thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 2:55 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizen by descent

Hi and welcome to BE,

I've moved your thread to the Moving Back to the UK forum. I know that you probably aren't moving back, but this topic is often discussed in this section, so I thought it would be the most appropriate forum. If you do a search using the search function along the top of the forum you will find many threads on this issue that have been posted before and you may pick up some tips. Also check out our wiki as we've got a page on this subject there too.

Once again welcome to BE, I am so pleased you are joined our little community and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Sue
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:03 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi aes

Welcome to BE.

My friend like you is a Brit and has kids with her American partner. When she divorced her husand she enquired into the issue of British citizenship for her kids.
As far as I recall, you as a person who is British will always be entitled to British citizenship.
Your children are also entitled to dual nationality and with that a British passport, because of having one parent born British.
At the time my friend enquired (which was about 12 or so years ago) you had to come to the UK and go with birth certificates of the kids and yourself to the passport office. As your kids are adults now they may have to go themselves, but take proof of your nationailty. This may have changed since then, so I would advise you to contact the UK Passport Agency with your question as they will certainly be able to give you an updated answer.

In the meantime, have you checked out our USA Forum? There are lots of Brit expats posting on there to chat and banter with and they are great fun.
Someone on that forum may well have recently gone through the process of nationailty, so it would be well worth you posting your question on there too.

You will find the USA forum by clicking on 'forum index' on the pink bar at the top of the page, scroll down the list of countries and double click on 'USA' and you're in.

All the best

Dread - x
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:06 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ just answered a similar question here about kids born before 83 with a UKC mother post number 20. Hope that helps.