Citizen by Decent - over 18?

Old Jun 7th 2016, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Hellfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizen by Decent - over 18?

I've done a bit of reading and I'm confused if I can claim British Citizenship as I was born in June of 1983, and as such am over 18.

My Father is a British Citizen (not by decent). My parents were married at the time of my birth and my mother is not a British Citizen.

I was born in Canada.

From the gov website tool it says I am most likely a citizen, but when I read details there seems to be some conflicting information that says I needed to apply before the age of 18.

Can I claim citizenship and if so what form do I need to fill out? TIA!!
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:08 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizen by Decent - over 18?

If you were born in Canada, your father is a British citizen and was born in the UK and your father was married to your mother at the time of your birth then you are already a British citizen by descent and have been since birth. You need only apply for your British passport.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Jun 9th 2016, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you were born in Canada, your father is a British citizen and was born in the UK and your father was married to your mother at the time of your birth then you are already a British citizen by descent and have been since birth. You need only apply for your British passport.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
What if my father was not born in the UK?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Where was your father born?

How did he become a British citizen?

Was he a British citizen when you were born?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 11:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hellfire
I've done a bit of reading and I'm confused if I can claim British Citizenship as I was born in June of 1983, and as such am over 18.

My Father is a British Citizen (not by decent). My parents were married at the time of my birth and my mother is not a British Citizen.

I was born in Canada.

From the gov website tool it says I am most likely a citizen, but when I read details there seems to be some conflicting information that says I needed to apply before the age of 18.

Can I claim citizenship and if so what form do I need to fill out? TIA!!
Descent, not decent. Best of luck in your search for answers
Old Jun 9th 2016, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Where was your father born?

How did he become a British citizen?

Was he a British citizen when you were born?
Tanzania, recognized, yes
Old Jun 10th 2016, 7:49 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hellfire
Tanzania, recognized, yes
If your father was born in Tanzania why do you think he is not a British citizen by descent? What do you mean by 'recognised'? Were his parents born in the UK? Does he have a British citizenship certificate?
Old Jun 10th 2016, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If your father was born in Tanzania why do you think he is not a British citizen by descent? What do you mean by 'recognised'? Were his parents born in the UK? Does he have a British citizenship certificate?
Thought he might have meant registered.

Wish the OP would just provide the whole story.

Where parents born? How they obtained Brit citizenship, when and where?
Old Jun 10th 2016, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Can I jump in on this thread. My granddaughter was born in 1993 in the US, and is A US citizen. Her mother is a British citizen born in the UK. Can my granddaughter claim British citizenship by descent.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 12:27 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Can I jump in on this thread. My granddaughter was born in 1993 in the US, and is A US citizen. Her mother is a British citizen born in the UK. Can my granddaughter claim British citizenship by descent.
Your granddaughter is already a British citizen by descent, she just needs to apply for a passport.