CIS Self Employment. Spouse Visa.

Old May 1st 2018, 8:03 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 25
Jackw40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CIS Self Employment. Spouse Visa.

Hey all,

I currently going down the CIS (construction industry scheme) I am sub- contracting through a limited company and being paid on a 2 week basis.

In the financial requirements it says I should receive Payment Slips in place of Payslips? What would be the difference between those?

Also is require I have a CIS Employment letter, which I can easily acquire which would detail my salary, date started and position, but I do not have a work contract as I’m self-employed and just sub-contracting?

Has anybody had experience with this route before? Any advice would really help me out .
Jackw40 is offline  
Old May 1st 2018, 11:04 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 8,945
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIS Self Employment. Spouse Visa.

In what document are you reading the following

In the financial requirements it says I should receive Payment Slips in place of Payslips? What would be the difference between those?

If you are self employed (and it sounds as though you are sub contractor) then you don't need a contract.
SanDiegogirl is offline  
Old May 1st 2018, 11:43 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 25
Jackw40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CIS Self Employment. Spouse Visa.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
In what document are you reading the following

In the financial requirements it says I should receive Payment Slips in place of Payslips? What would be the difference between those?

If you are self employed (and it sounds as though you are sub contractor) then you don't need a contract.
Financial Appendix fm 1.7


5.5.17. A person working as a subcontractor under the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), administered by HMRC (and under which the contractor deducts tax and National Insurance contributions from the payments made to the subcontractor), can, as an alternative to meeting the requirements of Appendix FM-SE in respect of self- employment, choose instead to count their CIS income as income from salaried employment. If they do, they must meet the requirements of paragraph 2 of Appendix FM-SE for specified evidence for salaried employment, subject to reflecting their status as a CIS contractor rather than an employed person. So, they must provide CIS payment slips in place of payslips, a letter from the CIS contractor in place of an employer’s letter and the required personal bank statements. If a person cannot provide this evidence, or it is not clear that they are covered by the CIS scheme, their income should be treated as income from self-employment and the relevant self-employment evidence must be provided.

This is what I have read.
Jackw40 is offline  
Old May 2nd 2018, 12:11 am
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 8,945
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIS Self Employment. Spouse Visa.

The main Contractor that you work for has to provide you with a document showing what he has paid you and the tax or whatever else he has to deduct from your payment. This is the CIS payment slip

The following website has loads of examples of such payment slips:



https://www.google.com/search?q=CIS+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
SanDiegogirl is offline  
Old May 2nd 2018, 4:49 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 25
Jackw40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CIS Self Employment. Spouse Visa.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
The main Contractor that you work for has to provide you with a document showing what he has paid you and the tax or whatever else he has to deduct from your payment. This is the CIS payment slip

The following website has loads of examples of such payment slips:



https://www.google.com/search?q=CIS+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Yep, I am receiving so those every payment. With my Gross, Cis [email protected] 20% and net payment also any other deductions if necessary!

So, a contract willl not be needed?
Just my Cis Employment letter from the contractor?
Jackw40 is offline  
Old May 2nd 2018, 3:28 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 8,945
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIS Self Employment. Spouse Visa.

Originally Posted by Jackw40 View Post
Yep, I am receiving so those every payment. With my Gross, Cis [email protected] 20% and net payment also any other deductions if necessary!

So, a contract willl not be needed?
Just my Cis Employment letter from the contractor?
Yes....
SanDiegogirl is offline  
Old Oct 24th 2018, 11:46 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2018
Location: Chicago, USA
Posts: 24
Jess15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CIS Self Employment. Spouse Visa.

Hi guys,

I'm so glad I found this thread! Jackw40-- how did the application go?

My English fiancé has been a subcontractor for years, but until tonight when I told him about it, he wasn't working under the CIS. He's going to call his boss tomorrow and figure things out.

We plan on getting married in the US next week (I'm American). I'm going to apply for the spouse visa to settle in the UK. I was thinking we'd apply as him being self-employed, however, recently I read Appendix FM-SE, which said he should be considered as a salaried employee. If he's not under the CIS, does he still have to apply as such? He has "Tax Payment Vouchers". ARe these applicable?

Thank you so much. I'm so confused by the finance portion of this application!
Jess15 is offline  
Old Oct 25th 2018, 5:25 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 25
Jackw40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CIS Self Employment. Spouse Visa.

Originally Posted by Jess15 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm so glad I found this thread! Jackw40-- how did the application go?

My English fiancé has been a subcontractor for years, but until tonight when I told him about it, he wasn't working under the CIS. He's going to call his boss tomorrow and figure things out.

We plan on getting married in the US next week (I'm American). I'm going to apply for the spouse visa to settle in the UK. I was thinking we'd apply as him being self-employed, however, recently I read Appendix FM-SE, which said he should be considered as a salaried employee. If he's not under the CIS, does he still have to apply as such? He has "Tax Payment Vouchers". ARe these applicable?

Thank you so much. I'm so confused by the finance portion of this application!
Hey,

going through the CIS route is really easy, I wouldn't suggest the self employment as the documents required is insane. Registering for CIS is pretty simple for your fiance, but I'm not sure if his boss must do something on his end as he would be paying his 20% tax deductions.

If private message me with your email, I could show you my finance related papers to show you what I did as my wifes application was successful.
Jackw40 is offline  
Old Oct 27th 2018, 10:06 am
  #9  
 
BritInParis's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Not in Paris
Posts: 17,509
BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIS Self Employment. Spouse Visa.

Posting your email address on a public forum isn’t a great idea. Try PMing again now.
BritInParis is online now  
Old Nov 7th 2018, 11:07 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2018
Location: Chicago, USA
Posts: 24
Jess15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CIS Self Employment. Spouse Visa.

It's my spam email anyway I have to post a total of three times before I can message people. This should be my third time. I'll try after this! Thanks all
Jess15 is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2018, 1:25 am
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2018
Location: Chicago, USA
Posts: 24
Jess15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CIS Self Employment. Spouse Visa.

Hi Jack,

I sent you a message last week. I am getting ready to apply so am going over everything again and again. Would you be able to send me your paperwork or any guidance you may have? He is in CIS, so we'll be going that route. Thanks in advance!
Jess15 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.