children with Canadian passports

Old Apr 8th 2015, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

chi tea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default children with Canadian passports

Myself and Hubby plan to return to the Uk from Canada this summer to live. I have a Uk passport and he has right of abode but both of our Children have Canadian passports. After reading the wiki entry about difficulties entering with a one way ticket and children on non uk passports, I am starting to get concerned. I was planning on obtaining uk passports for them once we were there. I am wondering if anyone has experienced difficulties with this issue? I don't wish to be given a hard time upon landing at uk airport but I don't want to get them new passports just yet if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: children with Canadian passports

At best you can expect to be questioned as to your children's eligibility for British citizenship. So you should be prepared to show their birth certificates and yours (presume they are eligible for British citizenship through you).

They will get a visitor stamp in their Canadian passports - you should obtain their British passports within this timescale.
Old Apr 12th 2015, 12:25 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your intention is to move back to the UK permanently then you should obtain British passports for your children before you travel.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

CJ2015 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the same situation...I have a British passport through descent, and my Canadian born children were denied a UK passport (when applying from outside the country). How can they travel and live with me in the UK? I have tried calling and emailing the visa section of the UK government, and given ... less than helpful non information...
Old Apr 13th 2015, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely, if you are British BY DESCENT your Canadian-born children are not British citizens ? They have to travel on Canadian passports.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 10:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CJ2015
I am in the same situation...I have a British passport through descent, and my Canadian born children were denied a UK passport (when applying from outside the country). How can they travel and live with me in the UK? I have tried calling and emailing the visa section of the UK government, and given ... less than helpful non information...
Did you spend any time in the UK before your children were born? If you spent at least three consecutive years living in the UK before they were born then they would be eligible to register as British citizens.

Otherwise, unless they have access to another EU/EEA passport through another parent or grandparent (Irish for instance) then they will need child visas in order to move to the UK with you.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

They were denied a UK passport because YOU are British by descent and therefore cannot automatically pass on British citizenship to your children.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by scot47
Surely, if you are British BY DESCENT your Canadian-born children are not British citizens ? They have to travel on Canadian passports.
Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
They were denied a UK passport because YOU are British by descent and therefore cannot automatically pass on British citizenship to your children.
Indeed. Not the same situation as the OP who is, presumably, British otherwise than by descent.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Indeed. Not the same situation as the OP who is, presumably, British otherwise than by descent.
...... agree
Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Yes, they were denied because I have my UK citizenship through descent.

I have lived in the UK continuously for 3 years. This will help once we are in the UK and I apply for their residency. HOWEVER...in speaking with the UK "once arrived in UK visa application office (official name???) today, I was told that if they arrive on a visitor visa, they cannot get a different status, aka citizenship??? So applying for a child visa might not work. Any experience with this? Also, would the SS route work...going to Eire for 3 months, then applying for permanent residency for all of us under an EEU family permit?

Any insights greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:24 am

Yes, they were denied because I have my UK citizenship through descent.

I have lived in the UK continuously for 3 years. This will help once we are in the UK and I apply for their residency. HOWEVER...in speaking with the UK "once arrived in UK visa application office (official name???) today, I was told that if they arrive on a visitor visa, they cannot get a different status, aka citizenship??? So applying for a child visa might not work. Any experience with this? Also, would the SS route work...going to Eire for 3 months, then applying for permanent residency for all of us under an EEU family permit?

Any insights greatly appreciated!
Sounds like there's a lot of muddled information going on there.

Providing your three years of continuous residence was before the birth of your children and they are under 18 years of age then you can register them as British citizens from Canada and obtain their British passports before you travel to the UK. You will need to complete a Form MN1 for each child and submit their applications to the Home Office in Liverpool. The fee is £749 per child.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

£749 ! Wow
Old Apr 14th 2015, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

The MN1 route sounds good, but I believe that the turn around time is 6 months (if applying within the UK...I have to find out for Canada). I plan to travel before then. You mentioned something about another connection.

Both their maternal grandparents are British born and UK citizens (1 deceased). How does one apply for children using this avenue? I know that one can apply under the grandparent line as of 17 years, but my babies are a long way off from that age.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

I read that Canadian passport holders do not need a visa for visits under 6 months. In this case, why would one need the child visa?
Old Apr 14th 2015, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I read that Canadian passport holders do not need a visa for visits under 6 months. In this case, why would one need the child visa?
Because if they enter the UK with their Canadian passports they will receive a visitors stamp (for up to 6 months only). What happens then if you have not obtained their British passports via the registration process?

You may not even be allowed entry with them since they have no eligibility for automatic British citizenship and your intention is to live in the UK.

You should obtain their British passports before you go by registering them as British citizens as per the MN1 form.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.