Child of British citizen - wanting citizenship

Old May 8th 2009, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

mattmyrddin is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Child of British citizen - wanting citizenship

Hi, not sure if this is the correct area, but seems the most relevent.

I am a child of a british citizen(Mother), but born outside the UK(Australia in 1986). My mother is still a British citizen, with residency in Australia.

My parents didn't register me for a british birth certificate, or apply for citizenship by decent.

I really wish they had - but what are my options from here?

I would prefer dual citizenship if I can get it - I guess a british passport is the less attractive option that is probably possible?

I am planning to travel around europe - and figure citizenship would be more helpful than just a passport - ability to work/stay indefinately if the oportunity arose etc.

Cheers,
Matt.
Old May 8th 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Child of British citizen - wanting citizenship

Thought you would have to be a British Citizen to get a British passport? Do you qualify for citizenship by descent? That's how I got my Aussie citizenship as my Dad was born in Melbourne
Old May 8th 2009, 8:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Born after 83 to a UK born Mom I think you are actually a UKC already. Was your Mom born and lived in UK.
My oldest was born in US to a UK mom (me) I was born and raised in UK he got his birth registered and a passport when he was 2.
Old May 9th 2009, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You only need a British passport (now actually an EU passport). You dont need anything else as long as your mum was a Brit born in UK. I think you just need a form C1 which you can download off the net and your mum's details.

Shouldnt be a problem, you already are a citizen by descent - your passport will just confirm that, you dont need a UK birth certificate or registration these days.
Old May 9th 2009, 12:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Shouldnt be a problem, you already are a citizen by descent - your passport will just confirm that, you dont need a UK birth certificate or registration these days.
Registration is handy to get though for the future in case you lose your passport and the folks die etc, then it can become a bit of a mare proving your Citizenship.
Old May 9th 2009, 12:59 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Matt,

The British Embassy in Australia has details about eligibility for a passport due to being a child of a British born mother here
Old May 9th 2009, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies -

Sounds like I should have little trouble getting a British passport -

My Mother was born in Britain, and moved out to Australia when she was a teenager.

From the above- getting a British passport is equivilent to citizenship? How would you 'register' to ease proof of citizenship while travelling?

As I understand, the passport would allow me right of abode, and ability to work in the UK, but is it the same thing? or just allows equivilent rights to citizenship?

Cheers,
Matt.

Last edited by mattmyrddin; May 9th 2009 at 3:08 am.
Old May 9th 2009, 3:17 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

only citizens can have the passport - so if you have a passport its because you are already a citizen.

they say register because if you lose the passport and dont have all the relevant parental details/certs etc to hand again it could be hard to re-prove it. but the passport once you get it is proof your a citizen in your own right anyway.
Old May 9th 2009, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Ah, ok makes sense.

So then I know I can get my dual citizenship

Who would you register to make things simpler if you lost your passport? Sounds like something worth doing at the same time.

Cheers,
Matt.
Old May 9th 2009, 3:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattmyrddin

Who would you register to make things simpler if you lost your passport? Sounds like something worth doing at the same time.
consular birth certificate in the consulate of the country where you were born....
Old May 9th 2009, 3:29 am
Just Joined

/understanding dawns

Thanks very much for your help everyone -

Cheers,
Matt.
Old May 9th 2009, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
consular birth certificate in the consulate of the country where you were born....
Dont think Australia does consular birth certificates any more. Just keep a note of your first (and subsequent) passports just in case you do lose it. Otherwise just the same info you gave the first time around.

Start here http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/how-apply/

Remember that the photos you need for a uk passport are different from the ones you need for an Aus passport so check out the places they recommend for getting the right size. Aus Post ones often dont comply

Last edited by quoll; May 9th 2009 at 7:39 am.
Old May 9th 2009, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough

Dont think Australia does consular birth certificates any more. Just keep a note of your first (and subsequent) passports just in case you do lose it. Otherwise just the same info you gave the first time around.

Start here http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/how-apply/

Remember that the photos you need for a uk passport are different from the ones you need for an Aus passport so check out the places they recommend for getting the right size. Aus Post ones often dont comply
Tell me about it! The photos for my Aussie passport which I had done (in the same place as I had them done for UK passport) were not deemed acceptable. Ended up walking up Holborn (London) to the place recommended by Australia House and paying a few quid for them to be done! (Would actually like to change them now - 2 years down the line I look nothing like my photo but not sure how much it would cost...
Old May 9th 2009, 7:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You can get passport photos for a lot of countries for free at http://www.epassportphoto.com/
I did some for Dh and printed them off myself, they came out great
Old May 14th 2009, 4:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You only need a British passport (now actually an EU passport).
It's still a British passport (at least for now), despite the "EU common format" defacement.