child of british citizen by descent

Old Nov 3rd 2016, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Ramsay88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default child of british citizen by descent

Hi All,

I'm a British citizen by decent (was born outside the UK in 1988) my mother is a British citizen other than by decent and my father is a Libyan national,

I'm currently Living in Libya and married to a Libyan girl and have an 18 month old boy( born in Libya)

My question is Can I register my child as a British citizen?
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 2:49 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: child of british citizen by descent

Originally Posted by Ramsay88
Hi All,

I'm a British citizen by decent (was born outside the UK in 1988) my mother is a British citizen other than by decent and my father is a Libyan national,

I'm currently Living in Libya and married to a Libyan girl and have an 18 month old boy( born in Libya)

My question is Can I register my child as a British citizen?
Simple answer would seem to be no, a citizen by descent cannot pass that citizenship on. Have you ever lived in the UK?
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Ramsay88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Simple answer would seem to be no, a citizen by descent cannot pass that citizenship on. Have you ever lived in the UK?
yes I lived in the UK from Feb 2007 to June 2009
Old Nov 4th 2016, 3:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ramsay88
yes I lived in the UK from Feb 2007 to June 2009
You would need to have spent three consecutive years in the UK before your son was born in order for him to be eligible to be registered as a British citizen under S.3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981. Unfortunately it appears you are eight months short.

You can move to the UK with your son and you have spent three years in the UK together you can then apply for him to be registered as a British citizen under S.3(5) BNA 1981. As the child of a British citizen he would be eligible Indefinite Leave to Enter. You would need to sponsor your wife for a spouse visa in order for her to accompany you to the UK.