Child born in the USA moving back to the UK

Old Sep 4th 2015, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

art924 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child born in the USA moving back to the UK

Hello

I am a UK citizen born and bred. My wife (EU citizen) and I relocated to the USA 3 years ago for my wife's work. We have just had a baby and want to relocate back to the UK as soon as possible.

It seems that getting a US passport is much quicker than British passport but I have heard we may have problems at the UK border when we enter with our child having a US passport when our intention is to stay permanently in the UK. We planned to apply for a British passport for the child once we are in the UK.

Has anyone out there had any similar experiences or could offer any advice?

Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2015, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child born in the USA moving back to the UK

You can apply for an US passport for your child and then get a Certificate of Entitlement using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa

You should read this before applying -

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode/overview
Old Sep 4th 2015, 11:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If your child was born in the US then he/she is a US citizen, so traveling into and out of the US on a US passport is mandatory.

When your child reaches 18 you can break the good news to him/her that he/she will have to complete a US tax return every year, unless their income is negligible.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 5th 2015 at 12:50 am.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 12:17 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

There were severe delays for overseas passport applications last summer but it will only take a week or two to have your child's British passport issued at the moment. Applying for a Certificate of Right of Abode is exorbitantly expensive in comparison and is likely to take longer.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

As Pulaski mentions your child will also need a US passport to exit the US.

You may also want to consider consular birth registration. This can be done in the US or in the UK.

British Consular Birth Registration : British Expat Wiki