Child born outside UK and family immigration

Old Apr 13th 2020, 2:06 am
Just Joined

mv72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child born outside UK and family immigration

Me and my wife both live in the US, I am a British citizen and US permanent resident and my wife is a USC.

We are expecting our first child later this year and we had a few questions we were hoping that some users on this board may be able to assist with.
  1. Am I correct in saying that as I am British born that I can pass my British citizenship to our child?
  2. Besides the application form is it mainly my UK birth certificate and the child's US birth certificate that will be needed to complete this along with the necessary fees.
  3. When you first obtain this birth certificate it costs £50 for a copy, am I correct in saying after you receive the £50 version you can then obtain copies for cheaper than £50 a time?
  4. Besides registering and obtaining this birth certificate is there anything else that needs to be done for them to obtain UK citizenship?
  5. I noticed that this service is currently suspended until further notice, I was wondering if anyone knew if this was due to the Coronavirus and should be running again in the Future?
  6. Me and my wife are thinking further down the line of potentially moving back to the UK I done my research on this and by completing and registering the child's birth would we then avoid the additional £3'800 child MIR in addition to the spousal MIR? I guess in short would the path to British citizenship only be regarding my wife at that point?

I know recently there has been news of a new work points based system in the UK though I was wondering if there is any talk of possibly revising the family immigration system to make it more friendly with regards to MIR or allowing additional sponsors to help with the MIR?
Old Apr 14th 2020, 1:24 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child born outside UK and family immigration

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. The registration fee is £150. If you wish to order a consular birth certificate from the FCO at the same time as registration then that is an additional £50. If you're happy to wait until the following September then you can order the same birth certificate from the GRO for £11.
4. Your child will receive British citizenship by descent automatically under British nationality law. Consular birth registration is entirely optional. You can skip it entirely and simply apply for their first British passport.
5. Yes and yes.
6. See 4.
7. No changes to spousal immigration have been announced so far.