Child benefit and leave to remain

Old Jul 27th 2020, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

sam12345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Child benefit and leave to remain

Can someone tell me if i apply for child benefit will this later affect my husbands further leave to remain application. And ILR application. Im a british citizen and my husband is currently on a spouse visa.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 1:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child benefit and leave to remain

No, so long as you - the British citizen - apply for Child Benefit on your child’s behalf rather than your husband.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
No, so long as you - the British citizen - apply for Child Benefit on your child’s behalf rather than your husband.
how about universal credit? Although my husband is not eligible only im eligible i still have to do a joint claim. Will this later affect future Further leave and ILR application?
Old Sep 4th 2020, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanis90 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have recently been in this situation and spoke to a benefits advisor after having our first child who said I was entitled to child benefit and universal credit as the british citizen. I have applied for universal credit and yes you need to claim jointly but what we did was login to his online universal credit account and leave a note in the journal to say he was on a visa and has no recourse to public funds, they have since removed his access to his account as he is not claiming, they only needed him to create an account so his earnings could be taken into consideration as part of household earnings for the claim. So long as they don't pay out any money for the spouse on a visa, it should not affect leave to remain.
Old Sep 4th 2020, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thanis90
I have recently been in this situation and spoke to a benefits advisor after having our first child who said I was entitled to child benefit and universal credit as the british citizen. I have applied for universal credit and yes you need to claim jointly but what we did was login to his online universal credit account and leave a note in the journal to say he was on a visa and has no recourse to public funds, they have since removed his access to his account as he is not claiming, they only needed him to create an account so his earnings could be taken into consideration as part of household earnings for the claim. So long as they don't pay out any money for the spouse on a visa, it should not affect leave to remain.
Ah i see, thats great thank you for the detailed information.