British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Chat logs as opposed to screenshots (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/chat-logs-opposed-screenshots-916136/)

cmdaniel Aug 16th 2018 2:21 am

Chat logs as opposed to screenshots

After searching many different forums and posts, I have found no concrete answer and want the low down.

For chat communication evidence - WhatsApp primarily. Yes, I have 5 years worth of chat logs - but only about a year where I can actually screenshot. For other services (i.e. Facebook, Skype - we used this during the very early stages of our friendship/relationship but now use WhatsApp much more, is it OK to include that as well?)

People have said their application has been rejected because they only submitted chat logs, whereas others have said it is fine. What is the truth in this?

spouse of scouse Aug 16th 2018 3:28 am

Re: Chat logs as opposed to screenshots

Originally Posted by cmdaniel (Post 12549067)
After searching many different forums and posts, I have found no concrete answer and want the low down.

For chat communication evidence - WhatsApp primarily. Yes, I have 5 years worth of chat logs - but only about a year where I can actually screenshot. For other services (i.e. Facebook, Skype - we used this during the very early stages of our friendship/relationship but now use WhatsApp much more, is it OK to include that as well?)

People have said their application has been rejected because they only submitted chat logs, whereas others have said it is fine. What is the truth in this?

You've previously said that even the official guidance on this isn't clear, so no one here can give you a definitive answer, or 'the truth'. All we can do is share our own experiences. Maybe consult an immigration advisor?

Nora_ Aug 16th 2018 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by cmdaniel (Post 12549067)

Hi

To early for me to say, as we don't have a decision yet, but we applied through UK based solicitor and she was for us to only have whatsapp chat info.

Whatsapp chat log is something to support that your relationship is genuine and continues.
We submitted:
Whatsapp chat screenshots
Whatsappa call screenshots
Whatsapp video call screenshots

in addition we submitted

Flight ittineries/boarding passes
Hotel reservations
Visas when I visited him
Pictures (alone & with family and friend)

We never used anything other than whatsapp for daily communication, therefore even if wanted we don't have.

BritInParis Aug 17th 2018 10:21 am

If your only proof of relationship is chatting online then whether it's screenshots or chatlogs is immaterial. If you're now married and living together then that's far more important than whether you have one or five years of screenshots. A small selection of social media/online chat is fine to back up claims you have made in your application regarding the development of your relationship, preferably in the form of a covering letter, but only when combined with other evidence like those suggested by Nora_.