Cat D - joint account with a parent

Old Mar 11th 2019, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Canadian2019 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cat D - joint account with a parent

hi everyone,

my hubby is a uk citizen and we’re planning on applying for my uk spouse visa using the cat d approach.

i have worked and lived in Canada for most of my life. A few years ago, I added my mother’s name to my bank account in order to ensure that someone else had access to it in the event of an emergency (I was travelling quite a bit). This has made my account a joint account, although all funds are mine and my mother does not access the funds for her own use. Can I use this account under the cat d approach if I explain my situation and provide letters from myself and my mother?

many thanks for your time.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat D - joint account with a parent

Only half the amount in the account will be taken into consideration, as your mother is a joint owner of the account.

Either remove her name or open another in your name only.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Only half the amount in the account will be taken into consideration, as your mother is a joint owner of the account.

Either remove her name or open another in your name only.
thank you for your quick reply. The bank won’t let me remove her name and if I open a new account, it will start a new 6 months. Perhaps the half will suffice for the total we need.

does it make a difference if my mom declares that all funds are mine?

Last edited by Canadian2019; Mar 11th 2019 at 5:34 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Surprising that the bank won't allow your mother's name to be removed.

The fact that only half the amount in the account can be used in the application would be the deciding factor, not a letter 'explaining the situation'

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Mar 11th 2019 at 6:00 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2019, 6:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canadian2019

thank you for your quick reply. The bank won’t let me remove her name and if I open a new account, it will start a new 6 months. Perhaps the half will suffice for the total we need.

does it make a difference if my mom declares that all funds are mine?
Surely you mother can remove her own name?
Old Mar 11th 2019, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Legally in Canada (or at least at BMO, the bank in question) once an account becomes joint, the only way to get around it is to close the account and re-open as a single or if one individual passes away. I even asked if there was a way to block access for her but that’s not possible either.

what seemed like a smart financial move in my mid 20s is now causing me some grief!
Old Mar 11th 2019, 10:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not sure you could use any of the funds in that account if it’s not under the sole control of you and/or your husband.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I’m not sure you could use any of the funds in that account if it’s not under the sole control of you and/or your husband.
i have read that the accounts must be in mine or my sponsors name. I called the phone number for UKVI with the question and he couldn’t confirm but did mention that I need to have access to it. I’m hoping is ok especially as the account was opened by me and my mother was added at a later date.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Canadian2019

i have read that the accounts must be in mine or my sponsors name. I called the phone number for UKVI with the question and he couldn’t confirm but did mention that I need to have access to it. I’m hoping is ok especially as the account was opened by me and my mother was added at a later date.
While it is under your control, it is also under your mothers (the bank would not stop her accessing the money). All official documents providing information on applying for spouse visas state that bank/savings accounts be under the control of applicant, sponsor or both. Nowhere does it say 'or third party'
Why would you risk it being OK when you are spending thousands of pounds on a visa?
Old Mar 12th 2019, 1:40 am
Just Joined

This was a major oversight on my part which I’m trying to rectify if possible. Since this account has always been “mine”, I overlooked the fact that my mother is also on all the documentation and now we’re at the stage where we need to apply.

I feel horrible as my hubby has worked so hard to get everything in order and I’ve messed it up with this misstep. We have a little one as well so any extra time this takes is a detriment to her relationship with her father. In any case, thanks for your help and I’m hoping hubby and I can figure something out.