Cash savings for spouse visa

Old Jan 24th 2017, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mz_Th4ng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cash savings for spouse visa

Hello all i was wondering if any one can help - Currently working part time so dont meet the £18600 so was goin to be looking at combined with savings account - but the account i have is with my mother has been in a savings account for more than six months also I have an account in my own name but the higher savings have been in a joint. I have looked all over the gov websites been to a few solicitors who have advised has to be in my name only n be in the account for 6 months what if my mother transfer the money into my account say its a gift n get authorisation from her - technically this money was in a joint account with my name for more than 6 months can i apply without waiting for 6 months ?? Any advice will b helpfull its nt really clear as in the Fm docs

Last edited by Mz_Th4ng; Jan 24th 2017 at 11:39 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cash savings for spouse visa

I'm sure our resident guru - Brit in Paris - will be along with a more definitive answer , but I believe it must be in YOUR name, as the sponsor, and been held for 6 months or more. It also has to be easily accessible. I may be wrong, and BIP will shoot me down if I am, but a joint account with your mother is a no no and even if she transfers enough to you, you still have to have it untouched, for a minimum of 6 months. Have you read this : Appendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Who are you trying to bring over to UK? Presumably your wife/husband?

Good luck , but be prepared to have to wait a few months to meet the savings requirement.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Hi Thank you for you reply yeh for my husband yeh i have read that a few times ok kool im waiting for there answr ? But it seems to be what every one sayin 6 months n in my name seems a long time ..
Old Jan 25th 2017, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The money must be in your name, under your control for 6 months.

Being in a joint account means that another person has rights over the money and it is not in the sponsor's sole control - also, legally, the whole of the money is not available to the sponsor.

Put the money into your own name. It needs to be there for 6 months before you can apply.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 4:03 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The money must be in your name, under your control for 6 months.

Being in a joint account means that another person has rights over the money and it is not in the sponsor's sole control - also, legally, the whole of the money is not available to the sponsor.

Put the money into your own name. It needs to be there for 6 months before you can apply.
SanDiegoGirl - In my case i have booked an appointment in the UK for February to have my wife's name added to my account as i will also be doing the savings route for her, as i had read it to be a good idea, but perhaps not, i would try calling the gov.uk helpline but they will not give any specific's out, does anyone have experience with this specific? Best to have sole ownership on account or add my wife?
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
SanDiegoGirl - In my case i have booked an appointment in the UK for February to have my wife's name added to my account as i will also be doing the savings route for her, as i had read it to be a good idea, but perhaps not, i would try calling the gov.uk helpline but they will not give any specific's out, does anyone have experience with this specific? Best to have sole ownership on account or add my wife?
The funds can be in yours, your wife's or both names.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtolakes
If you are the sponsor and the savings account has been in your name solely, there is no need to add your wife's name. You name alone is sufficient for the financial requirements.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 12:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mz_Th4ng
Hello all i was wondering if any one can help - Currently working part time so dont meet the £18600 so was goin to be looking at combined with savings account - but the account i have is with my mother has been in a savings account for more than six months also I have an account in my own name but the higher savings have been in a joint. I have looked all over the gov websites been to a few solicitors who have advised has to be in my name only n be in the account for 6 months what if my mother transfer the money into my account say its a gift n get authorisation from her - technically this money was in a joint account with my name for more than 6 months can i apply without waiting for 6 months ?? Any advice will b helpfull its nt really clear as in the Fm docs
Originally Posted by quiltman
I'm sure our resident guru - Brit in Paris - will be along with a more definitive answer , but I believe it must be in YOUR name, as the sponsor, and been held for 6 months or more. It also has to be easily accessible. I may be wrong, and BIP will shoot me down if I am, but a joint account with your mother is a no no and even if she transfers enough to you, you still have to have it untouched, for a minimum of 6 months. Have you read this : Appendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Who are you trying to bring over to UK? Presumably your wife/husband?

Good luck , but be prepared to have to wait a few months to meet the savings requirement.
Hi Thank you for you reply yeh for my husband yeh i have read that a few times ok kool im waiting for there answr ? But it seems to be what every one sayin 6 months n in my name seems a long time ..
Hi can anyone help ??? Brit in Paris do you know more about this?? Thnkin you in advance
It's not clear from the guidance because it's an unusual situation to be in. To quote the relevant guidance, "Income and cash savings must be in the name of the applicant, their partner or jointly. However, income and cash savings of a dependent child of the applicant can also be included once the child has turned 18 years of age." I would suggest that precludes using cash savings also held in the name of anyone else so savings held in a joint account with your mother would not be eligible.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The funds can be in yours, your wife's or both names.
Correct.

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you are the sponsor and the savings account has been in your name solely, there is no need to add your wife's name. You name alone is sufficient for the financial requirements.
Correct.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for all your advice..