Cash savings question

Old Nov 8th 2014, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cash savings question

Hi.

So myself (Brit), spouse and child (US) are planning to move to the UK.

Supposing we can scrape together the cash savings (72,000) and have established its been in our account for 6 months of more. We use this as our sole financial resource for sponsoring my wife and child.

Questions:

1. Am I right that this is for the initial 5 years. What happens after these initial 5 years? Do we need to provide additional financial proof again top get another 5 year extension (permanent extension leading to citizenship).

2. Do we need to maintain 72,000 the entire 5 years or can we dip into it for living expenses etc? If so, how much per year.

3. If we later used that cash fund to finance buying a house, would the equity count towards proof of financial responsibility or is it better to keep it as cash?

I have read a lot but still find it all a little confusing

Thanks.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice
Default Re: Cash savings question

Originally Posted by bobbyleo
Hi.

So myself (Brit), spouse and child (US) are planning to move to the UK.

Supposing we can scrape together the cash savings (72,000) and have established its been in our account for 6 months of more. We use this as our sole financial resource for sponsoring my wife and child.

Questions:

1. Am I right that this is for the initial 5 years. What happens after these initial 5 years? Do we need to provide additional financial proof again top get another 5 year extension (permanent extension leading to citizenship).

2. Do we need to maintain 72,000 the entire 5 years or can we dip into it for living expenses etc? If so, how much per year.

3. If we later used that cash fund to finance buying a house, would the equity count towards proof of financial responsibility or is it better to keep it as cash?

I have read a lot but still find it all a little confusing

Thanks.
Not sure about the savings stuff, but can your child get a British passport? If so, that would cut down the savings requirement a bit.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaoclive
Not sure about the savings stuff, but can your child get a British passport? If so, that would cut down the savings requirement a bit.
Unfortunately no.

Thanks.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

At the time of your extension to remain (FLR(M) in two and a half years time you would need to show either the same amount in savings or that your salary (or combined salary) is £18,600 ( plus the required amount to include your child) per annum and has been for the past six months. At the end of a further two and a half years I think the amount is a bit less but not too sure how much is required at that time. You can use your savings but for the six months preceding the application for FLR(M) you must show the required amount untouched and immediately accessible. Of course if you get jobs that meet the required amount in salary, you could spend ALL your savings!
Old Nov 8th 2014, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by michali
At the time of your extension to remain (FLR(M) in two and a half years time you would need to show either the same amount in savings or that your salary (or combined salary) is £18,600 ( plus the required amount to include your child) per annum and has been for the past six months. At the end of a further two and a half years I think the amount is a bit less but not too sure how much is required at that time. You can use your savings but for the six months preceding the application for FLR(M) you must show the required amount untouched and immediately accessible. Of course if you get jobs that meet the required amount in salary, you could spend ALL your savings!

Thank you. Pension and a small job for my spouse should just about cover it then.

Providing all the boxes are ticked, how far along this process could she apply for citizenship?
Old Nov 8th 2014, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

After she has resided in the UK for five years and has ILR, she can then apply for citizenship.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by michali
After she has resided in the UK for five years and has ILR, she can then apply for citizenship.

Thanks.