Cancelled Visa application - when can we reapply?

Old Nov 25th 2019, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Conductor71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cancelled Visa application - when can we reapply?

Hi everybody. First-time poster here...

My American wife is applying for a UK Settlement Visa (Appendix FM Partner) so we can move together to the UK (I'm British, have been in the US for 13 years).

We have a relatively straightforward case, and completed the application form without problems.

We submitted the application this morning, selecting the option for Priority Service. We paid the application fee and NHS surcharge. When we tried to make an appointment with VFS in Los Angeles we were surprised to find that the only Priority option available to us was the $2000 option. We weren't expecting a cost this high (although further research suggests that for a Settlement Visa that is the only option available.)

Presuming we'd made a mistake, we decided to cancel the application, get the refund, and reapply, this time choosing the option for biometrics appointment with US Homeland Security (ASC) in the hope that it's cheaper. We are OK reapplying before receiving the refund.

After cancelling, when we try to log back into our account to start a new application we get the following message:
We have received your request for a refund.

If your request for a refund is successful, your visa application will be cancelled and your money will be returned in the next 28 days. Your refund will be made to the same account you used when you paid for your application.
I have three questions that I'd be really grateful for any guidance with:

1) Is the $2000 VFS fee the only priority level available for a UK Partner Settlement Visa, when applying from the US?
2) How long can we expect the cancellation request to take to process? (Not the refund itself, just the processing, so we can start a new application.)
3) Is it a terrible idea to start a brand new application by creating a different account, so we can proceed with application while the cancellation and refund are being processed (I assume the answer is "don't do this!", but thought it was worth checking)

Really appreciate any help, and general huge thanks to this forum. It's been invaluable through the application process.