Canadian wife needs UK passport...

Old Aug 10th 2018, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice
Question Canadian wife needs UK passport...

Hi, I'm a British and Canadian citizen married to my Canadian wife. I'm British by parental descent and lived in UK for 30 years. We're considering our options.

Her grandmother is British and was in the military at the time of her Dad's birth. Does anyone know if my wife could qualify for British citizenship and be able to obtain a passport? If that happens, my 2-year old son should hopefully be able to get a UK passport too ( i hope!).

I've lived in Edmonton, AB, Canada for 5 years now, and we're just not feeling "right". I'm looking online for an immigration consultant who could advise us here, but haven't managed to find anyone - they all seem to specialize in people coming TO Canada. If someone knows one, that would really help too. We're becoming fed up living in Canada and are seriously evaluating going back to South / Southwest UK next year.

Advice welcome! Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 3:30 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian wife needs UK passport...

Her grandmother being in Crown service is interesting. What exactly were the circumstances? What are the relevant years of birth?

If your wife is entitled to a British passport then it is likely to be by descent only so your son will need to be registered as a British citizen by descent or apply for a settlement visa. The latter will be more expensive but preferable because as the child of two British citizens he should be granted Indefinite Leave to Enter. After three years of living in the UK as a family you can then apply to register him as a British citizen but he will receive British citizenship otherwise than by descent meaning his own children will automatically be British citizens regardless of their place of birth.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice

Thanks! Her grandmother was born ~1923 in UK, and was in the army at the time of her son's birth (my wife's Dad). She had met a Canadian man and moved to Ontario where he was born around ~1944/45. My wife was born in Edmonton in 1987.

EDIT - while typing, I received this from my wife's Aunt - "Mom was in the military when [my wife's Dad] was conceived but was discharged before he was born. In those days pregnancy was not allowed!!! "

That's interesting about my son, I agree Settlement Visa is the way to go, longer term much less complications.

Last edited by crazydaving; Aug 10th 2018 at 4:17 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

OK so here it is, to make things clearer.

My wife - born 1987 in Canada.Married to me, dual citizen UK and Canadian. I am British by parental descent. Lived in UK 30 years.
Wife's father - born in Toronto, Canada.
His mother - born in UK. Serving in UK army when conceived, discharged due to pregnancy.
His Father - Canadian.
Wife's Mother - born in Canada. Dual Citizen, UK and Canada.
Her mother - Canadian.
Her Father - Born in UK, civilian.

Clear as mud?
Old Aug 10th 2018, 9:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crazydaving
Thanks! Her grandmother was born ~1923 in UK, and was in the army at the time of her son's birth (my wife's Dad). She had met a Canadian man and moved to Ontario where he was born around ~1944/45. My wife was born in Edmonton in 1987.

EDIT - while typing, I received this from my wife's Aunt - "Mom was in the military when [my wife's Dad] was conceived but was discharged before he was born. In those days pregnancy was not allowed!!! "

That's interesting about my son, I agree Settlement Visa is the way to go, longer term much less complications.
I did think that would have been unusual. Since she was discharged before your father-in-law was born then your wife would not be entitled to British citizenship. She would however be able to apply for a UK Ancestry visa providing she was willing and able to work.
Old May 29th 2019, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Thank you BritInParis. It’s been a long time since this post and here I am once again considering whether it’s actually possible to make a move back. My folks just got a place on the Isle of Wight and all my family are there and it’s stirred up a lot of memories. Aside from the immigration thing, I’ve no idea what I’d even do for a job yet!

So so with the above in mind, you think it’d be:
1) ok for me - uk citizen
2) wife ancestry visa then apply for citizenship after 3yrs (not 5?)
3) what about my son again? Just a visa then citizenship?

cheers. At a bit of a crossroads as you can tell. I’m such a BritishExpats cliche lol. � ����
Old May 29th 2019, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by crazydaving
Thank you BritInParis. It’s been a long time since this post and here I am once again considering whether it’s actually possible to make a move back. My folks just got a place on the Isle of Wight and all my family are there and it’s stirred up a lot of memories. Aside from the immigration thing, I’ve no idea what I’d even do for a job yet!

So so with the above in mind, you think it’d be:
1) ok for me - uk citizen
2) wife ancestry visa then apply for citizenship after 3yrs (not 5?)
3) what about my son again? Just a visa then citizenship?

cheers. At a bit of a crossroads as you can tell. I’m such a BritishExpats cliche lol. ������
1) You just need a valid British passport.
2) UK Ancestry visa for five years, then ILR, then citizenship - naturalisation under S.6(2)
3) UK Ancestry Dependant visa for three years, then citizenship - registration under S.3(5)