Canadian trying to get her UK Passport - HELP!!

Old May 21st 2011, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

cerah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian trying to get her UK Passport - HELP!!

I'll keep this short and simple...

Both my parents are born in the UK (England)... I'm born in Canada... I know this makes me a citizen via my dad as I was born in '81. It's taken me all morning and I've had to navigate plenty a confusing website but I've got all the forms and know everything I need to do expect there's one thing I can't track down.

Who do I get to countersign for me?

Since I'm just applying for a regular passport as I'm already a citizen it says it has to be someone with a UK passport.

I've lived in Canada my whole life and I don't know anyone with a UK passport asides from my parents.

I know lawyers and doctors and other professionals here so I can get it signed but they're all Canadian.

Help?

This is the only thing holding me up and confusing me as I don't want my application to be rejected.

A link stating an answer would be great... I'd like to be able to back myself up if need be.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 22nd 2011, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian trying to get her UK Passport - HELP!!

Originally Posted by cerah

Both my parents are born in the UK (England)... I'm born in Canada... I know this makes me a citizen via my dad as I was born in '81. It's taken me all morning and I've had to navigate plenty a confusing website but I've got all the forms and know everything I need to do expect there's one thing I can't track down.

Since I'm just applying for a regular passport as I'm already a citizen it says it has to be someone with a UK passport.

I've lived in Canada my whole life and I don't know anyone with a UK passport asides from my parents.

I know lawyers and doctors and other professionals here so I can get it signed but they're all Canadian.

Help?

This is the only thing holding me up and confusing me as I don't want my application to be rejected.

A link stating an answer would be great... I'd like to be able to back myself up if need be.

Thanks in advance!
Really! There are loads of Brits in Canada. Do you not know a single Brit in your area? You don't have to know them well. They don't have to be a professional. Can you not seek out one? Where are you?
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:12 am
Just Joined

I'm in Vancouver, BC...

Honestly I don't know any... let alone one that's known me for two years and going by the passport site then need to be somewhat of a professional.
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Vancouver, BC...

Honestly I don't know any... let alone one that's known me for two years and going by the passport site then need to be somewhat of a professional.
Can you include a link here to the page that states the requirements?
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:39 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Help?

Thanks in advance!
I've never used a Brit to sign for my passport pic, I used my sons Kindergarten teacher one time and friends Dh who was a probation officer for Ds's first passport. Are the applications from Canada different than from the US?
Old May 22nd 2011, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Help?
Note 7 on "Notes for Form C1" tells you that the person can also be a Commonwealth citizen... that means a Canadian citizen within the categories mentioned can provide the countersignature.

You'd better go back here and download the Notes for Form C1, as it seems you haven't read it.

Last edited by roaringmouse; May 22nd 2011 at 6:02 am.
Old May 22nd 2011, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Note 7 on "Notes for Form C1" tells you that the person can also be a Commonwealth citizen... that means a Canadian citizen within the categories mentioned can provide the countersignature.

You'd better go back here and download the Notes for Form C1, as it seems you haven't read it.
Yes, I used my Canadian bank manager with no problem.
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Both my parents are born in the UK (England)... I'm born in Canada... I know this makes me a citizen via my dad as I was born in '81.
You are a British citizen IF your parents were married. If not, you will probably have to apply for citizenship based on your mother, or get a Right of Abode stamp, again based on your mother.

They will usually accept a Canadian countersignatory if you live in Canada.
Old May 22nd 2011, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
You are a British citizen IF your parents were married. If not, you will probably have to apply for citizenship based on your mother, or get a Right of Abode stamp, again based on your mother.
Prior to the British Nationality Act 1981 (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/section/2) which went into effect January 1983 citizen was granted via your father only, anyone born after January 1983 now has citizenship via their mother as well and there's ways you can apply if you were born before 1983 if only your mother was a British citizen as well (this of course applying to citizens NOT by descent although I believe there's also a way you can apply if your grandparents were British).

If you were born: Before 01/01/1983 outside the UK

You must include:

A photocopy of your current ID (eg: driving licence, bank statement, student card, household bill); AND
Your original consular birth certificate; OR
Your original registration or naturalisation certificate from the Home Office; OR
Your original foreign birth certificate and your father’s original UK long version birth certificate or his original naturalisation/registration certificate and your parents’ marriage certificate; AND
Your father's original British Citizen passport; AND
Your original marriage certificate if applicable; AND
Your original Deed Poll/Statutory Declaration if you have changed your name other than by marriage, together with 3 original forms of identification in your new name.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...s-first-timers
Old May 24th 2011, 1:57 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

A Canadian of similar standing can sign.