Canadian married to uk citizen living in Norway

Old Jun 24th 2018, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

birkeneve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian married to uk citizen living in Norway

I’m Canadian and my husband is British. We met in Norway 5 years ago and still live in Norway. I hold a permanent residence permit here and have free movement around the EU. We want to move to the U K to be with his family. How would that work for us with regards to my residence permit?
Old Jun 24th 2018, 10:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian married to uk citizen living in Norway

As a Canadian citizen you won’t have freedom of movement around the EU in your own right but you can accompany your husband as he is an EU citizen. EU citizens are not normally permitted to exercise freedom of movement in their own countries but if you have been married and living together in Norway for a number of years then you should be eligible to move to the UK under freedom of movement rules using the Surinder Singh route.

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/surinder-singh
Old Jun 25th 2018, 5:21 am
Just Joined

I should clarify. I’ve held my permanent residence card long before I met my husband here in Norway. I can travel freely to other EU nations based on that. Now we are considering leaving Norway together in 2 years. I’m read more about that Surinder Signh route.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 8:57 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birkeneve
I should clarify. I’ve held my permanent residence card long before I met my husband here in Norway. I can travel freely to other EU nations based on that. Now we are considering leaving Norway together in 2 years. I’m read more about that Surinder Signh route.
You can travel visa-free throughout the EU as a Canadian citizen providing you hold a valid Canadian passport but Norwegian permanent residence is only valid for Norway. It doesn’t permit you to live and work in another EU/EEA country. Only EU/EEA citizenship will allow you to do that.

If you wish to use the Surinder Singh route then note that Brexit will almost certainly curtail it by the end of the transition period, currently slated for 31 December 2020. You would need to move to the UK no later than that date.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 9:03 am
Just Joined

So late after Brexit? That works for us since we can’t move until Summer 2020 anyway.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 9:26 am

So late after Brexit? That works for us since we can’t move until Summer 2020 anyway.
As it currently stands. If the negotiations collapse then it will be March 2019.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Can we apply for this well before we plan to move?
Old Jun 26th 2018, 8:38 pm

You could, but an EEA Family Permit is only valid for six months.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 8:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

\I'd be surprised if even BIP could give a definitive answer to that. I would speculate that with the way things are going on Brexit, you should activate your SS application immediately.

Although I can't imagine why you'd want to live in a post cliff edge Britain. I'm personally making other plans.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
\I'd be surprised if even BIP could give a definitive answer to that. I would speculate that with the way things are going on Brexit, you should activate your SS application immediately.

Although I can't imagine why you'd want to live in a post cliff edge Britain. I'm personally making other plans.
Politics aside, it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the Brexit process and plan accordingly. The end of the SS route won't prevent you from moving to the UK with your husband but the spouse visa route will inevitably be more expensive and complicated. If the negoitations do collapse and a 'hard' Brexit starts in March 2019 then you may wish to change your plans and move earlier.

OP: Do you have any recent British or Irish ancestry?