Canadian interested in working in UK

Old Oct 12th 2011, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

mohmo89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian interested in working in UK

Hello

So i am new to this process. Well my problem is that I have done an accounting degree in Canada and I am moving to UK. I know I have to apply for the graduate program for the Big 4. Here we have the high school system and not the GCSE's like UK. Also for university we are graded on a GPA or percentage basis rather than 2:1 or 1:1. I was wondering how I should apply and how to input my marks in the qualification section of the application.

Like do i put them under GCSE's or non uk... Im soo confused pleasse help

And if someone helps and I get into the UK. Hit me up and drinks on me
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Aperture is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Canadian interested in working in UK

Originally Posted by mohmo89
Hello

So i am new to this process. Well my problem is that I have done an accounting degree in Canada and I am moving to UK. I know I have to apply for the graduate program for the Big 4. Here we have the high school system and not the GCSE's like UK. Also for university we are graded on a GPA or percentage basis rather than 2:1 or 1:1. I was wondering how I should apply and how to input my marks in the qualification section of the application.

Like do i put them under GCSE's or non uk... Im soo confused pleasse help

And if someone helps and I get into the UK. Hit me up and drinks on me
It doesn't sound like you are interested in working in the UK (as it says in your thread title); it sounds like you are interested in studying in the UK. In terms of visas, these are two very different propositions.

If you are looking to enter the UK as a student, I recommend doing your research starting here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...tion/studying/ (If you are looking to enter the UK to work, you should research here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ation/working/)

If you are having trouble filling out the applications, contact the individual universities to which you are applying and ask for advice. Their admissions office will be used to dealing with international applications and will be able to advise you. It'd be wisest to contact each university to which you're applying as their advice for international applicants may vary.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

No i dont want to study in UK... I want to work at the big 4... Maybe it does sound like I want to study. Also does anyone know if succesful do the big 4 help you with work visa.

Originally Posted by Aperture
It doesn't sound like you are interested in working in the UK (as it says in your thread title); it sounds like you are interested in studying in the UK. In terms of visas, these are two very different propositions.

If you are looking to enter the UK as a student, I recommend doing your research starting here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...tion/studying/ (If you are looking to enter the UK to work, you should research here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ation/working/)

If you are having trouble filling out the applications, contact the individual universities to which you are applying and ask for advice. Their admissions office will be used to dealing with international applications and will be able to advise you. It'd be wisest to contact each university to which you're applying as their advice for international applicants may vary.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 3:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My son is working in a graduate program in the UK also, and has a US degree.
He did a google search and found the conversion for his grade point average to the 2:1 type way of grading.
Also when he filled out the application is asked if you had x number of GCSE's or equivalent, and he checked yes, seeing he had graduated high school with a high GPA and also from Uni with a high score.
Hope that helps.
He didn't need a visa, he's a dual national.
But if you read the website of the company you want to apply for it will say under who is eligible to apply whether they want you to already be in the UK and have a visa for work or if they only accept from UK/EU citizens.
Ds's company limited applications it to those already eligible for work in the UK, and living in commute distance of such and such office, they wouldn't provide for re location or apply for any visas for anyone.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Oct 14th 2011 at 4:00 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Thank you that helps alot. I was wondering where he works

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
He did a google search and found the conversion for his grade point average to the 2:1 type way of grading.
Also when he filled out the application is asked if you had x number of GCSE's or equivalent, and he checked yes, seeing he had graduated high school with a high GPA and also from Uni with a high score.
Hope that helps.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Also I was looking at big 4 they are quite welcoming for people internationally and are willing to apply for work visa... I am soo confused now

Hope that helps.
He didn't need a visa, he's a dual national.
But if you read the website of the company you want to apply for it will say under who is eligible to apply whether they want you to already be in the UK and have a visa for work or if they only accept from UK/EU citizens.
Ds's company limited applications it to those already eligible for work in the UK, and living in commute distance of such and such office, they wouldn't provide for re location or apply for any visas for anyone.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 4:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you that helps alot. I was wondering where he works
He's not working for anyone called Big 4, it's in the finance industry for an international company who had their own graduate program and all their graduates do further exams for the industry, in financial planning etc it's a three year program then they can leave and work elsewhere or stay and work at one of the offices around the UK.
Why are you confused now?
If they are welcoming of international graduates then go ahead and apply. At worst they say no.
I googled big 4 UK and it's the big banks, chances are you are looking at London area, Ds is in Wales. Go for it!

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Oct 14th 2011 at 4:28 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Big 4 is the accounting firms...

He's not working for anyone called Big 4, it's in the finance industry for an international company who had their own graduate program and all their graduates do further exams for the industry, in financial planning etc it's a three year program then they can leave and work elsewhere or stay and work at one of the offices around the UK.
Why are you confused now?
If they are welcoming of international graduates then go ahead and apply. At worst they say no.
I googled big 4 UK and it's the big banks, chances are you are looking at London area, Ds is in Wales. Go for it!
Old Oct 14th 2011, 8:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Big 4 is the accounting firms...
Thanks.
Ds wanted to do accounting, but has settled in the area of financial planning and assistance it seems.