canadian child adopted-eligibility for British passport

Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

sayaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default canadian child adopted-eligibility for British passport

Having considerable trouble obtaining information from the British Embassy in Washington.
Can anyone advise me if my adopted daughter (born and adopted in Canada in 1982) is eligible to apply for a British passport. I am a male British and Canadian citizen. If the answer is "yes" then do you know the procedure.
As an alternative can anyone suggest where the answer may be found? It certainly isn't available on the usual official websites.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 9:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canadian child adopted-eligibility for British passport

Originally Posted by sayaway
Having considerable trouble obtaining information from the British Embassy in Washington.
Can anyone advise me if my adopted daughter (born and adopted in Canada in 1982) is eligible to apply for a British passport. I am a male British and Canadian citizen. If the answer is "yes" then do you know the procedure.
As an alternative can anyone suggest where the answer may be found? It certainly isn't available on the usual official websites.
Thanks for any help you can give.
This took me less than 30 seconds to find. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/?r...chTerm=adopted
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
This took me less than 30 seconds to find.

But doesn't answer the question.

The correct answer is:

1. If child is over 18, too late to register child as a British citizen on this basis,

2. HOWEVER, as child is a Canadian (Commonwealth) citizen and was adopted by a British born parent before 1983, child appears to be eligible for Right of Abode in the UK.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Right_...United_Kingdom

Assuming the original poster was born in the UK and married, before 1983.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:29 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We adopted in US, and got Dd her certificate of registration as a british citizen MN1 if I remember it right. Does that one work for Canada too?
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...ritishcitizen/
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...tingdocuments/
Evidence that the child was adopted abroad by British parents

You should provide:

* the child's birth certificate; or
* a certificate of abandonment from the authorities previously responsible for the child; and
* evidence of the relevant adoptive parent's claim to British citizenship otherwise than by descent; and
* the consent of the adoptive parent(s) to the registration; and
* the adoption order; and
o the child's parentage and history; and
o the degree of contact with the original parent(s); and
o the reasons for adoption; and
o the date, reasons and arrangements for the child's entry into an institution or foster placement; and
o when, how and why the child came to be offered to the adoptive parent(s); and
* evidence of the parents' country of residence; and
* if the parents are resident in the United Kingdom, evidence from the Department for Children, Schools and Families (if in England or Wales), the Scottish Government (if in Scotland) or the Department of Health, Social Security and Public Safety - Northern Ireland (if in Northern Ireland) that the parents have been assessed and approved as eligible to become an adoptive parent; or
* if the parents are not resident in the United Kingdom, evidence from the equivalent of the social services department in their country of residence confirming that all relevant adoption laws have been complied with.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We adopted in US, and got Dd her certificate of registration as a british citizen MN1 if I remember it right. Does that one work for Canada too?
It does but in this case the adoption was back in 1982 so the age limit of 18 has long passed. But note the possibility of Right of Abode, as referred to already.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:32 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It does but in this case the adoption was back in 1982 so the age limit of 18 has long passed. But note the possibility of Right of Abode, as referred to already.
Yes I just got that I missed the 1983 part.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
But doesn't answer the question.

The correct answer is:

1. If child is over 18, too late to register child as a British citizen on this basis,

2. HOWEVER, as child is a Canadian (Commonwealth) citizen and was adopted by a British born parent before 1983, child appears to be eligible for Right of Abode in the UK.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Right_...United_Kingdom

Assuming the original poster was born in the UK and married, before 1983.
No, it was the correct link. He asked where the answer could be found. I pointed him to the Home Office page with links to eligibility for children adopted overseas.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:04 am
JAJ
Retired

No, it was the correct link. He asked where the answer could be found. I pointed him to the Home Office page with links to eligibility for children adopted overseas.
Sigh.

It has nothing about what to do if child is aged over 18. The information provided in post #3 is actually of some use.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:08 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by JAJ
Sigh.

It has nothing about what to do if child is aged over 18. The information provided in post #3 is actually of some use.
Sigh.

It gave him a start. You know, if only your information is correct here, perhaps you could start your own little subforum where us plebs aren't allowed to offer any help. The OP asked a question. Someone found an answer. You don't like the answer so you jump in and instead of saying politely that the information is incomplete you have to be an ass about it. Some manners really wouldn't go amiss, you know.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: canadian child adopted-eligibility for British passport

This took me less than 30 seconds to find. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/?r...chTerm=adopted
I would like to thank Dorothy and everyone else for their input. It has been very helpful!
My original concern was related to the question of if a child is adopted is that child treated the same as if he/she was a natural born child of a British citizen.
Everything I have now read leads me to understand that in fact that is the case. In other words there is no difference in treatment subject to the availability of of the necessary documentation- so if a natural born child is eligible so would an adopted child be eligible. In my particular circumstances it appears things look good!
Thank you again and I do hope I am using the system correctly and these comments go back to the original site where my query was posted!
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

I would like to thank Dorothy and everyone else for their input. It has been very helpful!
My original concern was related to the question of if a child is adopted is that child treated the same as if he/she was a natural born child of a British citizen.
Everything I have now read leads me to understand that in fact that is the case. In other words there is no difference in treatment subject to the availability of of the necessary documentation- so if a natural born child is eligible so would an adopted child be eligible. In my particular circumstances it appears things look good!
In that case you need to do some more reading as you have got it wrong. Adoptions outside the UK do not (as a general rule) automatically confer British citizenship. Sorry.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...on?view=Binary

An application for British citizenship could have been made before age 18 but it is too late now.

However, Right of Abode looks to be possible in this situation. It's nearly as good as British citizenship. Perhaps read the link in post #3?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the input. Sorry for the delay but the last reply set me back on my heels!
Can I ask for one further piece of advice.
I was originally intending to apply for a passport for my daughter on the assumption that it was an automatic process ie. her right to citizenship would be checked out during the application process. Now with the 'right of abode' wrinkle it is not clear whether I directly apply for a passport or if I should apply for'RoA' first and then submit with passport application.
Would appreciate any advice.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

I was originally intending to apply for a passport for my daughter on the assumption that it was an automatic process ie. her right to citizenship would be checked out during the application process. Now with the 'right of abode' wrinkle it is not clear whether I directly apply for a passport or if I should apply for'RoA' first and then submit with passport application.

Right of Abode is not British citizenship. It gives most of the rights of British citizenship except the passport.

If successful she will get a Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode stamped in her Canadian passport (Canadian passport should normally be renewed first). She can use this to move to the United Kingdom and become a naturalised British citizen in due course. After becoming naturalised British, she could apply for a British passport.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk has details.