Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Can a zero-hour contract be used to meet the financial requirement?

Can a zero-hour contract be used to meet the financial requirement?

Old Apr 1st 2019, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

alyssalou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can a zero-hour contract be used to meet the financial requirement?

Hi all. I'm American trying to join my British husband in the UK. We got married a month ago, he was in a job since June of last year but got laid off this week.

He's a videographer and has done freelance work in the past, and is now considering going back to it and running any work through a media company that he has a good relationship with (but they have no budget to employ him on an hourly or salary basis) under a zero-hour contract. From my understanding of the situation this would make him technically employed, he could receive pay slips and an employer letter from them. But, of course, being neither a salaried nor hourly worker, his income would fluctuate.

My question is, is this a viable route to pursue? This is assuming that he generates enough income to have earned the £18,600 including his last job by June so that we can submit 12 months of pay slips and bank statements. So basically, will a zero-hour contract be accepted as employment?
Old Apr 21st 2019, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can a zero-hour contract be used to meet the financial requirement?

Another option is to work self-employed through the media company he has a connection with. Then all he has to do is earn £18,600, but you wouldn't be able to submit your application until April 2020 at the earliest.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can a zero-hour contract be used to meet the financial requirement?

You state "(but they have no budget to employ him on an hourly or salary basis)", but I presume they are legally going to employ him - payslips, tax/NIC payroll deductions etc?

In other words the visa application would be submitted as qualifying under employed NOT self employed status ......