Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Can you come to the UK to visit once you file the application?

Can you come to the UK to visit once you file the application?

Old Oct 2nd 2019, 10:07 am
Just Joined

sine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you come to the UK to visit once you file the application?

Hi all,

My husband is staying with me in Scotland for a couple of months at the moment, but will return to the US to file the application in January (when my six months at my job come around). My question is - once it's filed, is he permitted to rejoin me here in Scotland again while we await the result? Or does he have to stay in the US until we find out?

Thanks,
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Nora_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you come to the UK to visit once you file the application?

No, he cannot come to the UK but go to almost everywhere else (assuming he will use keep passport service).
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 4:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband needs to be outside the UK when the decision is made so he should not travel to the UK in case it leads to a refusal on this basis.
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the replies. I'm still in preliminary research stage, but I'm trying to determine if the Settlement Premium Package on VFS , that states it makes your application super priority, has actually proven to be any quicker than the cheaper options?
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 3:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sine
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the replies. I'm still in preliminary research stage, but I'm trying to determine if the Settlement Premium Package on VFS , that states it makes your application super priority, has actually proven to be any quicker than the cheaper options?
Super Priority processing is not available for a spouse visa application from the US, the package you refer to offers Priority only.
If your application is straightforward (you don't have an adverse immigration history, criminal record etc) then in most cases Priority seems to work. There's always the odd example of it not working though, and people waiting months for their visas. If you can afford it I'd go for it, but it's up to you.
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't the applicant still have to provide their passport when submitting the visa application?

Or has this gone away now with the uploading of documents?
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

So the Settlement Premium Package isn't available for the spouse visa? Sorry to be slow. I was thinking the one he will file is the Family of a Settled Person visa, is that different from the Settlement visa?
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Doesn't the applicant still have to provide their passport when submitting the visa application?

My understanding is that you can pay an extra fee to retain your passport when you apply? But the point is moot now, since I learned he won't be able to be in the UK when the decision is made anyway.
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 4:02 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sine
So the Settlement Premium Package isn't available for the spouse visa? Sorry to be slow. I was thinking the one he will file is the Family of a Settled Person visa, is that different from the Settlement visa?
You're not being slow, it's a complicated business. Yes, your husband will be applying for a Family of a Settled person (husband) visa. I was just making the distinction beween Super Priority processing (which isn't available) and Priority processing, which is part of the Settlement Premium package you mention and is available from some VFS centres. Which centre are you using?
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 4:03 pm
Concierge

It depends, some centres offer the Keep My Passport service but not all do.
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You're not being slow, it's a complicated business. Yes, your husband will be applying for a Family of a Settled person (husband) visa. I was just making the distinction beween Super Priority processing (which isn't available) and Priority processing, which is part of the Settlement Premium package you mention and is available from some VFS centres. Which centre are you using?
He would use the Chicago centre if the Settlement Premium Package really did seem to offer expedited service. Otherwise he would use St Louis. I only said 'super' priority to distinguish between the Silver or Gold package, and the Settlement package - they all mention putting the application at the front of the queue - and I assumed the most expensive one gave the most expedition? You're right that this is confusing! We are trying to minimise the time he is back in the States while me and the kids live over here. If paying 2 grand really makes a difference, ok. But if they're all much of a sameness, I'd rather save it. Thanks for your help :-)
Old Oct 7th 2019, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Rosy2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I still had the send my passport in with my application they need it it even says if not provided the application will most likely be refused
Old Oct 7th 2019, 3:17 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Rosy2016
Yes I still had the send my passport in with my application they need it it even says if not provided the application will most likely be refused
See post 10