Can my step dad sponsor my gf for visitor visa?

Old Feb 9th 2019, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

chefchao is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can my step dad sponsor my gf for visitor visa?

Hi just wondering if it's possible for my step father to sponsor my girlfriend on a visitor visa? I've just returned to the UK and I don't think I'd have the funds in my account to be a sponsor at the moment, I've also just started in a new job. My gf is from the Philippines if it makes any difference.

The only thing that makes me think this would be an issue is the fact they've never met. Also he's retired but has a good bit in savings and a healthy pension, I know for a fact what he has in savings is more than enough to be a sponsor. I'll be living at their place temporarily for a few months until i find a flat so that will also be the address on the visa sponsor form.

What would be the best approach for applying in this way do you think? Put him as the main sponsor but mention me on there also?

Any advice much appreciated
Old Feb 10th 2019, 9:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can my step dad sponsor my gf for visitor visa?

Your girlfriend will need to convince the ECO that she will be a genuine visitor to the UK, that she will be able to support herself whilst she is here and that she sufficient ties to her home country that she will return afterwards. If she cannot afford the trip and neither can you at the moment then perhaps waiting until you can would be a better strategy.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Your girlfriend will need to convince the ECO that she will be a genuine visitor to the UK, that she will be able to support herself whilst she is here and that she sufficient ties to her home country that she will return afterwards. If she cannot afford the trip and neither can you at the moment then perhaps waiting until you can would be a better strategy.
Hi thanks for your reply , what kind of ties are the ECO looking for to the Philippines? She has a child there but currently works in the Maldives. We can both afford it but I haven't been working long enough in the UK since I've been back to show regular steady income as I've just started a new job a few weeks ago. That's why I'm thinking it's better to get my step dad to sponsor her.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 9:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chefchao
Hi thanks for your reply , what kind of ties are the ECO looking for to the Philippines? She has a child there but currently works in the Maldives. We can both afford it but I haven't been working long enough in the UK since I've been back to show regular steady income as I've just started a new job a few weeks ago. That's why I'm thinking it's better to get my step dad to sponsor her.
If she’s living in the Maldives then that will be her home country for the purposes of this application. She has employment there, so that’s one tie. A child is potentially another. Will her child be remaining there? If so who will be looking after him or her? If she can afford the trip, why does your stepfather need to ‘sponsor’ her? What do you mean by sponsor?
Old Feb 10th 2019, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If she’s living in the Maldives then that will be her home country for the purposes of this application. She has employment there, so that’s one tie. A child is potentially another. Will her child be remaining there? If so who will be looking after him or her? If she can afford the trip, why does your stepfather need to ‘sponsor’ her? What do you mean by sponsor?
I thought they would still consider Philippines as her home, that makes things a bit easier then. Would her job need to remain open for her on her return to the Maldives for it to be considered a tie? Her child lives with her Mum in the Philippines and will be there while my girlfriend is here in the UK.

She has enough for flights and some spending money but probably not what the government would consider sufficient. By sponsor I mean put his details on the sponsor forum when applying for the visit visa and to show statements of his savings to prove he can provide accomodation, food ect.