can my Australian born wife get UK Passport?

Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:50 am
Best move in life

interested16 will become famous soon enoughinterested16 will become famous soon enough
Default can my Australian born wife get UK Passport?

Im on spouse visa subclass 820 living in Oz with australian wife,if we wanted to go and live in UK a few years down the track,how would we go about it? Could my wife get UK passport as i have one?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Jamez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: can my Australian born wife get UK Passport?

As far as i know, she would need to get British Citizenship, then she could have a UK Passport.

If she was born before a certain date, and her parents migrated to Australia, then she can apply for a Right of Adobe, a stamp will be placed in her Australian passports and she will have all the rights of a British Citizen to stay in England, etc. My mum has it, as she is Australian, dad British.

She can have a Right to Adobe if:
  • were born before 1983 with a UK-born mother (those born before 1983 and legitimately descended from a UK-born father are British citizens, whether or not they are Commonwealth citizens/British subjects); or
  • were adopted before 1983 by a UK-born mother; or
  • were married before 1983 to a man who had right of abode (therefore this particular provision applies to women only).

Taken from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_o...right_of_abode
Privileges of the right of abode

an unconditional right to live, work and study in the United Kingdom
an entitlement to use the British/EEA immigration channel at United Kingdom ports of entry
an entitlement to apply for United Kingdom social security and welfare benefits
a right to vote and to stand for public office in the United Kingdom (since everyone with right of abode is a Commonwealth citizen, who has these rights if living in the United Kingdom)
In addition, those with right of abode may apply for British citizenship by naturalisation after meeting the normal residence and other requirements. Children born in the United Kingdom to those with right of abode will normally be British citizens by birth automatically.

Otherwise, she would have to get a VISA i think.

Someone confirm this as i'm only 15..

Last edited by Jamez; Jul 19th 2009 at 10:11 am.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Rodger_lawson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jamez
Someone confirm this as i'm only 15..

what's up with BE and 15 year olds?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Jamez is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rodger_lawson
what's up with BE and 15 year olds?
Huh?

(Only on here since i have lived in Aus a while and want to go there...be closer to family as well, if only they gave me citizen by descent =/)

Last edited by Jamez; Jul 19th 2009 at 11:09 am.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamez
Huh?

(Only on here since i have lived in Aus a while and want to go there...be closer to family as well, if only they gave me citizen by descent =/)
I think that was admiration for your capacity to respond with a good answer!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, if either of her parents was British and she was born after 1981 (or thereabouts) then she could be British by descent and get a passport right now.

However, she cant get one just because you have one!
Old Jul 19th 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I am british,and have 3 aussie kids.All my kids have got british passports,including my eldest who was adopted at birth,by british parents in Oz,but apparently could only get a british passport from me,being his brith mother!!!