Can I work with a US firm remotely in the UK?

Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

salspark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I work with a US firm remotely in the UK?

Hi,
For personal reasons I need to relocate to the UK. I want to be able to continue my current role at my US firm but doing it remotely from the UK. My firm is likely flexible on the remote working policy but I'm not sure if I'd need a work visa or any other documentation to go ahead and do this. Any help or suggestions here?

I'm a US citizen.

Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I work with a US firm remotely in the UK?

You will need a visa to relocate/move to the UK & work there.

Are you married to a UK citizen?

Do you have any European ancestry?

On what basis are you planning to move to the UK?

Answers to the above will help us help you.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 12:57 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the required visa to move and work in the UK then the easiest way to do what you propose would be as an independent contractor. Then you get to deal with UK income and payroll taxation and your current company does not need to pay those or worry about UK employment legislation. As a US citizen you's still be liable to tax on your worldwide income, but you would not have to pay FICA.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salspark
Hi,
For personal reasons I need to relocate to the UK. I want to be able to continue my current role at my US firm but doing it remotely from the UK. My firm is likely flexible on the remote working policy but I'm not sure if I'd need a work visa or any other documentation to go ahead and do this. Any help or suggestions here?

I'm a US citizen.

Thanks
I am very puzzled by the statement that you need to relocate to the UK and yet your post suggests you don't have the right to live in the UK at the moment.

How can you *need* to move to a random country that you are not a citizen of or have a visa for?

With the right visa, yes there is no problem working remotely, but you would need to either contract or the company would have to operate UK PAYE. Obviously you cannot just land in the UK and start working, remotely or otherwise, without a visa or citizneship.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

madmusician_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

salspark, you say you're a US citizen, are you also a UK citizen? if so, then you should be able to do it...

I'm a UK citizen, and US green card holder. I've worked for 4 months in the UK for my US company with no issues. With US and UK citizenship (or the right to work in the UK), I don't see why you couldn't do it indefinitely.