can I put my son on my British passport

Old May 26th 2013, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Matalicmaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default can I put my son on my British passport

I am a British citizen and I need to find out if I can put my son on my British passport so that he doesn't have to travel on a South African passport. My wife is a south African citizen. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 26th 2013, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can I put my son on my British passport

Originally Posted by Matalicmaster
I am a British citizen and I need to find out if I can put my son on my British passport so that he doesn't have to travel on a South African passport. My wife is a south African citizen. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
These days you cannot add children to a UK passport - the child has it's own passport. It would be a question of whether or not your son is a British citizen or not - if he is, then you can apply for a passport for him.
Old May 26th 2013, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Let me refresh this posting. I am a Brittish citizen currently living in South Africa, I was born here and both my mother and father were born in England that is how I am in possession of a British passport. My son was born in South Africa and my wife is a South African citizen, is there a way of getting my son onto my passport as I wish to go and live in England. If that is the case about him not being eligible to be placed on my passport is he entitled to be classified as a British Citizen.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Matalicmaster; May 26th 2013 at 1:39 pm. Reason: Up date
Old May 26th 2013, 1:50 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Let me refresh this posting. I am a Brittish citizen currently living in South Africa, I was born here and both my mother and father were born in England that is how I am in possession of a British passport. My son was born in South Africa and my wife is a South African citizen, is there a way of getting my son onto my passport as I wish to go and live in England. If that is the case about him not being eligible to be placed on my passport is he entitled to be classified as a British Citizen.
Thanks for any help.
Here's a good place to start your research on this important topic:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...en_Born_Abroad

And another link--this one from UKBA-- for the technicalities:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...df?view=Binary

Last edited by WEBlue; May 26th 2013 at 1:58 pm.
Old May 26th 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any help.
From what you say, it sounds like you are a British citizen by descent which means British citizenship does not automatically pass on to children you have outside the UK. Therefore your child would not be a British citizen.

Have you ever spent at least 3 continuous years living in the UK? If yes, then you can register your child as British by descent.

Does your wife have access to any other (EU) citizenships?
Old May 26th 2013, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

The answer to both those questions is no. So it looks like I will have to get visitors visors for them and then get a job in the UK that pays over £17500 per year. This will not be a problem for me but more of a hassle. Its quite sad that both my dads grandfathers spent 4 years in a prisoner of war camp and my mums uncle died running up a beach in Burma at age 24. I really do not think that this type of approach will stop the illegals getting in to the UK. Just bureaucratic bumbleing so it looks like they are doing something. After all its not like my parents are dubious they both worked and lived in England. Thanks for the help David.
Old May 26th 2013, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

The answer to both those questions is no. So it looks like I will have to get visitors visors for them and then get a job in the UK that pays over £17500 per year.
If you're referring to the minimum income for a spouse visa, then it's £18,600 - however you also have a child to sponsor (due to them not being British) so that amount increases to at least £22,400. Of course, any savings you have may change the actual amount required.
Old May 27th 2013, 1:10 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The answer to both those questions is no. So it looks like I will have to get visitors visors for them and then get a job in the UK that pays over £17500 per year. This will not be a problem for me but more of a hassle. Its quite sad that both my dads grandfathers spent 4 years in a prisoner of war camp and my mums uncle died running up a beach in Burma at age 24. I really do not think that this type of approach will stop the illegals getting in to the UK. Just bureaucratic bumbleing so it looks like they are doing something. After all its not like my parents are dubious they both worked and lived in England. Thanks for the help David.
If they enter on visitor visas I've heard you cannot change once in the country, so they would need to go back to SA while you get the visas sorted once working long enough to apply.