Am I eligible to get a UK passport through my father?

Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Maheen Siddiqi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I eligible to get a UK passport through my father?

Hi, my father (late) was born in India in 1936 and registered himself as a British Subject with the right of abode under the British Nationality Act - 1948. He later got the status of British Citizen in early 1990s and was issued a new Red passport which clearly stated him as a British Citizen without immigration controls. I have his original UK passports and a true copy of the certificate of registration issued by the National Archives, Stamped by the Home Office London, dated as 6th April 1971. I also have some official business papers stating him as a British citizen.

I'm from Pakistan and over 18, am I eligible to obtain UK passport through him, being a British citizen by descent? My parents were married at the time of my birth.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I eligible to get a UK passport through my father?

Were you born before or after he obtained British citizenship?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 5:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I was born way after he obtained British Citizenship. He had lived and worked there for over 40 years. I was born in the year 1994 in Pakistan.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Actually, I've been told by some people that you may not qualify since it's important to have a British-born father and not just by registration with the right of abode. Despite the fact that he did acquire British citizenship later (before my birth) he was registered under the 1948 act which disqualifies me but not sure?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 5:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maheen Siddiqi
Actually, I've been told by some people that you may not qualify since it's important to have a British-born father and not just by registration with the right of abode. ....
That is true, "right of abode" is not, on its own, sufficient, but by the time you were born he was a British citizen.
.... Despite the fact that he did acquire British citizenship later (before my birth) he was registered under the 1948 act which disqualifies me but not sure?
On what basis did he obtain British citizenship? .... In other words, what did he do that qualified him for British citizenship, or what was the reason for him being able to obtain British citizenship?

For example, did he live in the UK?

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 9th 2017 at 5:19 am.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 5:26 am
Just Joined

That is true, "right of abode" is not, on its own, sufficient, but by the time you were born he was a British citizen.

On what basis did he obtain British citizenship? .... In other words, what did he do that qualified him for British citizenship, or what was the reason for him being able to obtain British citizenship?

For example, did he live in the UK?
He had been there a long time, owned a house, family job etc and immigration wasn't the concern it is today. It may be that he got his original citizenship through marrying a British-born woman and later divorced her by the early 70s. He was working as a Business director in some xyz company.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 12:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any further information on his certificate of registration beyond the date?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Is there any further information on his certificate of registration beyond the date?
Thank you for joining the discussion. I was about done asking questions, but still without enough information to know what to advise.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for replying. He got the status of British citizenship later after spending more than 5 years living and working in the UK. Before 1990s, he only had the status of British subject with the right of abode. Does this still not qualify me since he wasn't a born national?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 9:09 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for replying. He got the status of British citizenship later after spending more than 5 years living and working in the UK. Before 1990s, he only had the status of British subject with the right of abode. Does this still not qualify me since he wasn't a born national?
My question was in reference to the certificate itself; are there any details on it other than the date?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 9:14 pm

My question was in reference to the certificate itself; are there any details on it other than the date?
It sounds like he naturalized ..... are there other possibilities?

Or don't British Subjects WRA naturalize?
Old Nov 9th 2017, 9:25 pm

It sounds like he naturalized ..... are there other possibilities?

Or don't British Subjects WRA naturalize?
Not if he has a certificate of registration, hence the question. Also Right of Abode wasn't introduced until 28 October 1971 with the Immigration Act 1971 so something isn't adding up.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 4:37 am
Just Joined

Not if he has a certificate of registration, hence the question. Also Right of Abode wasn't introduced until 28 October 1971 with the Immigration Act 1971 so something isn't adding up.
I don't know what document is missing in between but he didn't have that right of abode entitlement document instead he held a passport from 1982 till 1992 saying the holder has the right of abode in the UK. Right after that he was issued a red passport.

Since you mentioned the right of abode wasn't introduced until 28 October 1971 under the Immigration Act. But on his registration certificate this date is somewhat similar i.e. 6th April 1971 under the Immigration Act
Old Nov 10th 2017, 8:34 am

I don't know what document is missing in between but he didn't have that right of abode entitlement document instead he held a passport from 1982 till 1992 saying the holder has the right of abode in the UK. Right after that he was issued a red passport.

Since you mentioned the right of abode wasn't introduced until 28 October 1971 under the Immigration Act. But on his registration certificate this date is somewhat similar i.e. 6th April 1971 under the Immigration Act
What else does it say?
Old Nov 10th 2017, 9:38 am
Just Joined

What else does it say?
Sorry it was under the immigration act 1962. But as far as I know, only those subjects were able to retain their status who showed some strong ties or considered UK as their permanent home. My father officially started his own company in the year 1967 so that blue passport he got in 1971 might be given on the basis that he was already married to a UK born woman and working? After that he was issued two passports and the last one confirmed his British citizenship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.