British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Can I move back to UK with my boyfriend? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/can-i-move-back-uk-my-boyfriend-925610/)

Laurita721 Jun 9th 2019 11:17 pm

Can I move back to UK with my boyfriend?

I am currently on a j1 trainee visa here in Los Angeles and I’m pregnant. I want to go back to the UK before or after birth (currently undecided because I have no idea if the sponsor will keep me until birth or fire me as soon as they find out). I want to go back to London for good. I would live in a flat my dad has that is luckily empty at the moment. I would like my boyfriend to come with us. What is the best way for him to apply for a visa? Through me or through his child who will be British? We’ve been together 2 years (some long distance) and living together since December. This has been an unplanned pregnancy.
I’m very confused and emotional about this so forgive me if I’ve missed anything out.

SanDiegogirl Jun 9th 2019 11:30 pm

Re: Can I move back to UK with my boyfriend?

Originally Posted by Laurita721 (Post 12695834)
I am currently on a j1 trainee visa here in Los Angeles and I’m pregnant. I want to go back to the UK before or after birth (currently undecided because I have no idea if the sponsor will keep me until birth or fire me as soon as they find out). I want to go back to London for good. I would live in a flat my dad has that is luckily empty at the moment. I would like my boyfriend to come with us. What is the best way for him to apply for a visa? Through me or through his child who will be British? We’ve been together 2 years (some long distance) and living together since December. This has been an unplanned pregnancy.
I’m very confused and emotional about this so forgive me if I’ve missed anything out.

What nationality are you.....what nationality is your boyfriend?

Laurita721 Jun 9th 2019 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12695837)
What nationality are you.....what nationality is your boyfriend?

sorry!! I’m british. Boyfriend is American. So obviously I know I don’t have problems. My questions are for him.

SanDiegogirl Jun 9th 2019 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Laurita721 (Post 12695839)

sorry!! I’m british. Boyfriend is American. So obviously I know I don’t have problems. My questions are for him.

In order for boyfriend to live in the UK he needs a visa. Options are below:

- As you have not lived together for 2 years or more you and boyfriend are not eligible for unmarried partner visa.

- If you marry, he may be eligible for a spouse visa if YOU are able to sponsor him for a spouse visa - there are financial requirements which basically means YOU either have to be earning 18,600 GBP per annum OR, if not earning, have savings of 62,500 GBP. Read the document below:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ent-ext_1_.pdf

- there is the Tier 2 work visa - mainly for qualified professionals and it needs a sponsoring employer

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general

Unless he qualifies for any of the above he will only be visiting you in the UK.

Laurita721 Jun 11th 2019 6:23 am

Would it essentially be easier to stay in the US until December 2020 when we will have lived together two years? Is this way much easier than spouse visa?

its a cruel world we live in isn’t it. No rights to be with his child in the UK if I want to be there as a British citizen, paid taxes since I was 16!!!!

scot47 Jun 11th 2019 7:03 am

Most countries make it easier for spouses to live together. Airstrip One (UK) only does this for the rich !

sherbert Jun 11th 2019 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Laurita721 (Post 12696336)
Would it essentially be easier to stay in the US until December 2020 when we will have lived together two years? Is this way much easier than spouse visa?

Probably! But do you have adequate health insurance that will cover the (high) cost of giving birth here? Also, if your employer decides to 'let you go', your J1 will be terminated. If I recall correctly, you will then have a 30 days leave the country, which you obviously cannot do if you are just about to give birth or have just done so.

Very tricky situation for you :(

christmasoompa Jun 11th 2019 8:12 am

its a cruel world we live in isn’t it. No rights to be with his child in the UK if I want to be there as a British citizen, paid taxes since I was 16!!!!

It works the same the other way too, you wouldn't have the right to be with your USC child if s/he was in the US and you were in the UK. Unfortunately only citizenship give you the right to enter a country, whichever way you go one of you will need to sponsor the other and having a child of that citizenship gives the other parent no rights at all.

Sounds like marriage needs to be your first step (again, whichever country you intend to reside in) and then sorting out the visa side of things.

Best of luck.

BritInParis Jun 11th 2019 8:46 am

The easiest thing to do would be to marry. The US immigration system makes this mandatory and you are unlikely to accrue the two years necessary to qualify for an unmarried partner visa for the UK without remaining in the US which would be difficult on your current visa.

Getting you pregnant doesn’t give him a free pass to move to the UK.

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12696346)
Most countries make it easier for spouses to live together. Airstrip One (UK) only does this for the rich !

The average UK salary is £35,423 pa for those in full-time employment. Asking someone to be able to provide for themselves and their spouse without relying on benefits does not make it only for the rich. The UK makes it no more difficult and often easier in many regards relative to comparable countries.

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 12696356)
[/left]Probably! But do you have adequate health insurance that will cover the (high) cost of giving birth here? Also, if your employer decides to 'let you go', your J1 will be terminated. If I recall correctly, you will then have a 30 days leave the country, which you obviously cannot do if you are just about to give birth or have just done so.

Very tricky situation for you :(

Simplest solution would be to marry in the US and then return to the UK to give birth on the NHS. The OP can then either apply for a Green Card to join her husband in the US or return to work in the UK to enable her husband to join her after six months.

BritInParis Jun 11th 2019 11:53 am

It’s probably also worth checking whether your boyfriend has any recent European or Commonwealth heritage.

SanDiegogirl Jun 11th 2019 3:19 pm

The unmarried partner visa and the spouse visa have the same financial requirements; so from that point of view it is not 'easier'

Whichever visa you go for there is a financial requirement to meet.