Can I arrive in the UK first?

Old Feb 20th 2016, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Roo70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I arrive in the UK first?

Hi everyone, hope I am in the right place for someone to help.

I am an Australian citizen with no UK ancestry, married to a British wife with permanent Australian residency with two dual citizenship children. We were planning on applying for a spouse visa using the savings option. Things have suddenly gone very quick and I am hoping to be offered a position in the UK very soon.

My question is, am I able to arrive in the UK before my wife does so that I can start employment or does she need to arrive in the UK before or with me.

If she arrives with me, as I am officially joining her in the UK, will she automatically loose her Australian permanent residency? This is a concern because she would need to either stay in Australia or return to Australia to sell our house and tie up all the loose ends.

Hoping that someone has been in this situation before and can help with some advice. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 10:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I arrive in the UK first?

Originally Posted by Roo70

I am an Australian citizen with no UK ancestry, married to a British wife with permanent Australian residency with two dual citizenship children. We were planning on applying for a spouse visa using the savings option. Things have suddenly gone very quick and I am hoping to be offered a position in the UK very soon.

My question is, am I able to arrive in the UK before my wife does so that I can start employment or does she need to arrive in the UK before or with me.

If she arrives with me, as I am officially joining her in the UK, will she automatically loose her Australian permanent residency? This is a concern because she would need to either stay in Australia or return to Australia to sell our house and tie up all the loose ends.

Hoping that someone has been in this situation before and can help with some advice. Thanks in advance.
Uk visas not really my forte but I don't think you can arrive before your spouse - but others will be along to confirm or correct that.

If your wife is PR, how long before she can get citizenship? Also what are the dates of her PR visa as if the travel part has expired and she does not have citizenship, then she may need an RRV for travel to Australia if she leaves
Old Feb 20th 2016, 10:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You must arrive either at the same time or after, as your visa will be 'joining settled person. if you arrive at the same time, that's OK as as soon as she sets foot in the UK she is classed as settled.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

No you cannot arrive before her on the spouse visa. Either with her or after her.

No she won't lose her Aussie residency permit automatically once in Britain, but presumably there are Aussie rules to this and probably after being out of Australia for a length of time her residency might be in jeopardy. I would check up on this if I were you.

Why does she not take out Aussie citizenship before moving back to UK?
Old Feb 21st 2016, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks old.sparkles, mikelincs and SanDiegogirl. If I get the job, it looks like we will have to arrive together but my wife would only stay for a week or two before returning to Australia to sell our house. Hopefully she will not have any problems returning to Australia on her permanent residents visa.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 9:40 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks old.sparkles, mikelincs and SanDiegogirl. If I get the job, it looks like we will have to arrive together but my wife would only stay for a week or two before returning to Australia to sell our house. Hopefully she will not have any problems returning to Australia on her permanent residents visa.
She shouldn't have a problem as long as the travel part of the visa is still valid. If not she simply needs to apply for RRV.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
She shouldn't have a problem as long as the travel part of the visa is still valid. If not she simply needs to apply for RRV.
Yes it is still valid, thanks.