Can I apply for a British Passport for my children?

Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

LaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really nice
Default Re: Can I apply for a British Passport for my children?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Just one small point which may or may not be relevant. I seriously wouldn't worry about your son starting school when he's 'supposed' to. It honestly doesn't matter if he doesn't start until January or even later. If you're getting stressed about timescales because of this, don't.
This has been one of the things on my list to worry about. I just don't want him to be at a disadvantage so early on. Schools in SA are approx 1 year behind and my little boy is quite sensitive to change. Would hate to think he would be overwhelmed by starting school so late and falling even further behind.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 6:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LaraCS
This has been one of the things on my list to worry about. I just don't want him to be at a disadvantage so early on. Schools in SA are approx 1 year behind and my little boy is quite sensitive to change. Would hate to think he would be overwhelmed by starting school so late and falling even further behind.
He won't be at a disadvantage at all. Lots of boys (don't know why it's boys more often than not) are very sensitive about things like school. It could even be an advantage for him to start a little while later than his classmates, miss out on the whole hoopla of lots of nervous kids in the same position, he could go in and be given a couple of buddies to help him through his first days. Kids are incredibly resistant and if you don't make a big deal of it, he won't either. He's got another 12 years of school, a few months is honestly neither here nor there.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

LaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really nice

Thank you Moneypenny for putting my mind at ease. I suppose Im just worring about everything alittle too much. Doing this for my boys to hopefully give them a better life with more opportunities. I need to try 'relax' abit.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Moneypenny for putting my mind at ease. I suppose Im just worring about everything alittle too much. Doing this for my boys to hopefully give them a better life with more opportunities. I need to try 'relax' abit.
Don't have to tell me, been there done that! The first one doing stuff is very stressful. You won't give a monkey's when the younger one starts doing stuff.

Seriously though, however well you think you are hiding your stress from the kids, they will be picking up on it and the older one will play on it. Little buggers are very good at that. You worrying about him starting school will be transferred by osmosis to him and he will worry as well. Repeat after me, it doesn't matter. Knock it off the list. Next......
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Don't have to tell me, been there done that! The first one doing stuff is very stressful. You won't give a monkey's when the younger one starts doing stuff.

Seriously though, however well you think you are hiding your stress from the kids, they will be picking up on it and the older one will play on it. Little buggers are very good at that. You worrying about him starting school will be transferred by osmosis to him and he will worry as well. Repeat after me, it doesn't matter. Knock it off the list. Next......
You are of course 110% right. He really has been playing up. Deep breathe taken, "it doesn't matter" repeated and definitely knocked off the list.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What if I sent a covering letter with all of the documents? If mother (by decent), and both grandparents (by birth) are British Citizens then surely my little monkeys can some chance.
Surely they're either UKC's or not, it's not a case of 'some chance'? JAJ is the expert, he doesn't think they are UKC's, but perhaps your answer about the consular birth certificate will change things - hopefully he'll be along to help later and clarify things for you.

Good luck.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Surely they're either UKC's or not, it's not a case of 'some chance'? JAJ is the expert, he doesn't think they are UKC's, but perhaps your answer about the consular birth certificate will change things - hopefully he'll be along to help later and clarify things for you.

Good luck.
At this stage I'm working on chance and luck alone
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I've filled out the kiddies C2 passport docs and will be sending it off probably tomorrow.

Will let you all know how it pans out.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I've filled out the kiddies C2 passport docs and will be sending it off probably tomorrow.
Bad decision.

You're British by descent and your children are not British citizens (based on the facts submitted), so you have no basis to apply for them to have British passports.

There is a 95% chance that the applications will be refused and you will have to apply for them to be registered as British citizens the proper way.

The remaining 5% chance, ie that they get the passport, is even worse. They still won't be British citizens and their passports will be invalid and subject to revocation anytime. They will be illegally in the United Kingdom and when (as is likely) they need to prove their status all over again, probably as young adults, they will be unable to. The outcome in that situation could well be removal from the United Kingdom.

You have already been told the steps you need to take to make your children British citizens. It appears that you have chosen not to accept this advice. Unfortunate.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Bad decision.

You're British by descent and your children are not British citizens (based on the facts submitted), so you have no basis to apply for them to have British passports.

There is a 95% chance that the applications will be refused and you will have to apply for them to be registered as British citizens the proper way.

The remaining 5% chance, ie that they get the passport, is even worse. They still won't be British citizens and their passports will be invalid and subject to revocation anytime. They will be illegally in the United Kingdom and when (as is likely) they need to prove their status all over again, probably as young adults, they will be unable to. The outcome in that situation could well be removal from the United Kingdom.

You have already been told the steps you need to take to make your children British citizens. It appears that you have chosen not to accept this advice. Unfortunate.
Why do I feel like I've been told off

Your reply is valid and I know you're right. I guess I just have to catch a wake up and do this the right way.

So you think we should apply for their visa's along with my husband's, get ourselves over to the UK then I can register their births and apply for their British Passports?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on. Lara, prior to their birth did you spend 3 continuous years living in the UK? If you did, then you can apply for their passports. You will probably have to provide some proof that you did indeed live in the UK.

If not, then the advice that JAJ gave about them NOT being UK citizens, at this time, stands.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Hold on. Lara, prior to their birth did you spend 3 continuous years living in the UK? If you did, then you can apply for their passports.

If not, then the advice that JAJ gave about them NOT being UK citizens, at this time, stands.
I only came back to South Africa in 2004 at the age of 21. I lived, went to school and sixth form and worked for a little while in England.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

I only came back to South Africa in 2004 at the age of 21. I lived, went to school and sixth form and worked for a little while in England.
So yes to answer your question I lived in the UK for more than 3 consecutive years.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Hold on. Lara, prior to their birth did you spend 3 continuous years living in the UK? If you did, then you can apply for their passports. You will probably have to provide some proof that you did indeed live in the UK.
You're confusing applying for a passport with applying for citizenship.

As JAJ has already said, LaraCS may apply to the consulate for Section 3(2) registration for her children (conferring citizenship by descent) and only then apply for British passports for them. Alternatively, she could bring them to the UK on settlement visas and then apply for Section 3(5) registration after three years' residence (conferring citizenship otherwise than by descent).

All the relevant information is here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...or_my_child.3F
Old Aug 31st 2011, 2:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Will let you all know how it pans out.
Why would you do that? I think JAJ explained what you need to do, you will be wasting your money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.