C1 British passport application, HELP.

Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: C1 British passport application, HELP.

Originally Posted by scottylans
Hi to all (again)

Thanks for the help previously, the Brits have /finally/ come through with both my parents original birth certificates.
I'm leaving for London in only 3 weeks from now, so I figure applying for a British passport in this amount of time is pretty much impossible.
I have an Aussie passport already so I'm fine for my holiday, the question is - as I'm in the UK for about 4 weeks, is there any way I should apply over there and what are the odds of it being done in the 4 weeks I'm there.

Would they ship it to my temporary address in the UK or would they want to send it back to my Aussie address?
I'm going to guess it would be much quicker to apply for one over there, wouldn't it or should I just wait until I get back?

Thoughts?
(thank you)
If you are only going to the UK for a holiday this time why not just send off your passport application here, and then by the time you get back it should be ready.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

scottylans is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah look that's a viable option sure. It'd be nice to get it while I'm away though on the tiny chance I need it for some reason.
I guess I'll be getting my mail held by the post office so there's no chance of it being nicked, hopefully.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

as I'm in the UK for about 4 weeks, is there any way I should apply over there and what are the odds of it being done in the 4 weeks I'm there.
Have a look here. Considerably cheaper to get a passport in the UK if you are going to be visiting one of the areas in which there is a Passport Interview Office.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

LivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the roughLivingHere is a jewel in the rough

When you apply for a passport from the UK but were born in another country they usually ask for the document that you entered the country with. Even for a renewel four weeks CAN be a bit tight.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Shular is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there. Born and raised in Canada, father was born in Scotland, came to Canada as a young child (about 4 or 5 years old). I've just finished Teacher's College, and am considering taking a teaching job in the UK (I have several agencies interested in me).

As I understand it, because my father was born in the UK, I'm eligable for a UK Passport. So I'm filling out the form and I come to the following "question" regarding my father:

"His citizenship at the time of your birth, and if he was not a British Citizen, his immigration status in the United Kingdom."

I'm not quite sure what to put here. At the time of my birth (1967) he would have been considered a naturalized Canadian, though apparently something weird happened in Canada in the late 70's regarding citizenship and he had to go through the process of getting his Canadian citizenship over again.

Should I just consider him a British Citizen, and so put "Naturalized Canadian" in that field?

Also, it asks the same for my mother. She is not a British citizen, but she would have had no immigration status in the UK, because she never lived there. Would I just put Canadian for her, or should I add something about the immigration status (like "none")?
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shular
Hey there. Born and raised in Canada, father was born in Scotland, came to Canada as a young child (about 4 or 5 years old). I've just finished Teacher's College, and am considering taking a teaching job in the UK (I have several agencies interested in me).

As I understand it, because my father was born in the UK, I'm eligable for a UK Passport. So I'm filling out the form and I come to the following "question" regarding my father:

"His citizenship at the time of your birth, and if he was not a British Citizen, his immigration status in the United Kingdom."

I'm not quite sure what to put here. At the time of my birth (1967) he would have been considered a naturalized Canadian, though apparently something weird happened in Canada in the late 70's regarding citizenship and he had to go through the process of getting his Canadian citizenship over again.
Your father was never "considered" a naturalised Canadian. He became a Canadian citizen when he applied for and was granted Canadian citizenship - not before then.

Canadian nationality has been separate from British nationality since 1947-49.

His citizenship at the time of your birth was "British" or more technically, "Citizen of the United Kingdom & Colonies". Becoming Canadian did not cause loss of British citizenship. Don't confuse things by mentioning Canadian citizenship.

Incidentally - were your parents married? If not, you cannot claim British citizenship through your father.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Shular is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Your father was never "considered" a naturalised Canadian. He became a Canadian citizen when he applied for and was granted Canadian citizenship - not before then.

Canadian nationality has been separate from British nationality since 1947-49.

His citizenship at the time of your birth was "British" or more technically, "Citizen of the United Kingdom & Colonies". Becoming Canadian did not cause loss of British citizenship. Don't confuse things by mentioning Canadian citizenship.

Incidentally - were your parents married? If not, you cannot claim British citizenship through your father.
Yes, they were married. I have all the certificates, including his long form Birth Certificate. The reason I felt I should put Canadian for his nationality is that on MY long form birth certificate, that's what his nationality is listed as. (Under "Place of Birth" it says Scotland, under "Nationality" it says Canadian.)
Old Jun 12th 2010, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LivingHere
When you apply for a passport from the UK but were born in another country they usually ask for the document that you entered the country with. Even for a renewel four weeks CAN be a bit tight.

When you say the document I entered the country with, are you talking about my Aussie Passport - and would they need it for any length of time?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

When you say the document I entered the country with, are you talking about my Aussie Passport - and would they need it for any length of time?
They keep it until they send back all your documents with your new passport. You're really best applying for it here.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by canadaeh
They keep it until they send back all your documents with your new passport. You're really best applying for it here.
Even if I interview in person with them and provide a photocopy of the Aussie one? Bugger - I hope to take a trip in to France on the 8'th of July (arrive Londoon on the 1'st) and I don't leave until the 29'th of July.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Isobel M is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Scottylans

I'm a Brit with 2 Aussie-born kids; we each have both passports now. We moved to Central Europe in January after 13 years in Queensland.

You are clearly entitled to a British passport but I think it's pointless rushing to get it while on a 4 week holiday. If the slightest thing goes wrong (postal strike? illness? mislaid documents due to staff error?), you have to miss your trip to France or leave without the UK passport or... lots of potential headaches. You can easily travel in and out of both Br. & Fr. on an Aussie passport, I've done it myself.

Just enjoy the trip and apply for your British passport when you get back to Australia. I applied for myself and the kids last September and it took about 6 weeks from when we had the interview at Australia Post. However it can take time to get an interview slot in the first place. And we also had unforeseen delays (Back to repeat interview a few days later because photo wasn't right plus we needed a certain document). So do it when time is not an issue.

Both my kids had Aussie passports - one expired - but it was their first British ones. I was told I should give their Aussie passport numbers in qu 4 and send in the Aussie passports with the application - which I found odd and which made me nervous; but I was told later the reason is: if the Aussies have already verified that the person named really exists and their birth cert etc is genuine, then the British checks needn't be so exhaustive and go slightly faster/smoother. All our documents came back safely.

It would be different if you wanted to stay and work in the UK or EU, of course. In that case I'd delay the trip until you've got the British passport. We went on 1-way tickets and they would have turned us back at the airport without those magic British (EU) passports!! Likewise here, in my husband's country, work and paperwork (health, social ins...) would have been really tedious on an Aussie passport. (God Bless Kate at Flight Centre who first urged me to spend the money to get the British passports!)

At some point you mentioned that the British had no record of your birth. That's correct; I was unable to register my Aussie-born kids with the British Embassy or in the UK birth register. However, you can use your Aussie birth certificate just as well. It's deliberate; the 2 countries trust each other's birth registration systems & are trying to cut out unnecessary bureacracy (for once! - yay.)

Hope this information helps you & other people in some way. Best wishes and enjoy your trip!

Isobel
Old Aug 13th 2010, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Well guys, I am back!

I had an amazing time and apparently got to see one of the best summers in England in many many years.
I'm thinking I may as well use my doctor to be a countersignatory, probably the only viable person I know of to do this, however I've done some googling and I'm just curious : he doesn't have to hold a British passport does he? Just be a commonwealth citizen (He's obviously got an Australian passport)

Can anyone confirm?
Thank you.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 3:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Well guys, I am back!

I had an amazing time and apparently got to see one of the best summers in England in many many years.
I'm thinking I may as well use my doctor to be a countersignatory, probably the only viable person I know of to do this, however I've done some googling and I'm just curious : he doesn't have to hold a British passport does he? Just be a commonwealth citizen (He's obviously got an Australian passport)

Can anyone confirm?
Thank you.
No he doesn't need to be a Brit.
I had mine signed by the retired fire chief here seeing I knew his daughter and him for many years.
Ds's passport pics were signed by my friends Dh who was a juvenile probation officer, I just hope they didn't thing Ds was one of the juveniles he was seeing to.