Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British spouse contracts/freelances and ILR application for non UK spouse

British spouse contracts/freelances and ILR application for non UK spouse

Old Aug 8th 2013, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

pimpmycode is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British spouse contracts/freelances and ILR application for non UK spouse

Hi,

I am not sure if this has been answered before, didn't anything with the search though.
My wife will be applying for her ILR in January, she is taking the Life in the UK test later this month.

Does the UKBA have any issues with British spouses that are contractors/freelancers? I recently left permanent employment, started my own Ltd company and now contract in the UK. Would this be an issue? We are both still permanently settled in the UK. I guess the same question would apply for the year after next when my wife applies to naturalise?
Old Aug 8th 2013, 2:44 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British spouse contracts/freelances and ILR application for non UK spouse

Originally Posted by pimpmycode
Hi,

I am not sure if this has been answered before, didn't anything with the search though.
My wife will be applying for her ILR in January, she is taking the Life in the UK test later this month.

Does the UKBA have any issues with British spouses that are contractors/freelancers? I recently left permanent employment, started my own Ltd company and now contract in the UK. Would this be an issue? We are both still permanently settled in the UK. I guess the same question would apply for the year after next when my wife applies to naturalise?
So was your wife's spouse settlement visa issued (and activated) before the rules change of July 2012?
Old Aug 8th 2013, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: British spouse contracts/freelances and ILR application for non UK spouse

Yes it was, thankfully. We have been here since January 2012.

Last edited by pimpmycode; Aug 8th 2013 at 2:46 pm. Reason: Grammar
Old Aug 8th 2013, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Does the UKBA have any issues with British spouses that are contractors/freelancers? I recently left permanent employment, started my own Ltd company and now contract in the UK. Would this be an issue?
Not by itself it shouldn't be.
I guess the same question would apply for the year after next when my wife applies to naturalise?
Naturalisation is less stringent for such things. Last I looked, you're not asked about employment or income on the naturalisation application form.
Originally Posted by WEBlue
So was your wife's spouse settlement visa issued (and activated) before the rules change of July 2012?
As an aside, neither the issue date nor the initial entry date has anything to do with further applications being decided under the old rules. It is the initial visa application date alone that matters.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:03 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
As an aside, neither the issue date nor the initial entry date has anything to do with further applications being decided under the old rules. It is the initial visa application date alone that matters.
Yes, you are technically correct. However, I find most non-EEA spouses in real life tend not to remember the exact application date (is this officially the date the application fee was taken?) But most do remember well either the visa's issue date or the date they arrived to live in the UK. In this case, I knew that if either of the latter dates were before 8 July 2012, the visa would fall under the old rules.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:12 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Do not know your spouses nationality, but do check the language requirements as there have been some changes to that too which are not reliant on when you applied first but when you apply again.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, you are technically correct. However, I find most non-EEA spouses in real life tend not to remember the exact application date (is this officially the date the application fee was taken?) But most do remember well either the visa's issue date or the date they arrived to live in the UK. In this case, I knew that if either of the latter dates were before 8 July 2012, the visa would fall under the old rules.
Yes, the application date is the date the fee is taken, when applying outside of the UK.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ly-outside-uk/

While I'm sure you're correct about an applicant perhaps not remembering the actual application date, I've yet to read of someone who is not aware of whether they fall under the old or new rules!

Actually, no one will be eligible for ILR under the new rules until 2017 as it now takes 5 years to get to that stage.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:12 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by larrabee
Yes, the application date is the date the fee is taken, when applying outside of the UK.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ly-outside-uk/
Yes, I thought I remembered that but was posting quickly and couldn't look it up then. It's on the application payment receipt, which visa-holders should keep safe but don't always....
While I'm sure you're correct about an applicant perhaps not remembering the actual application date, I've yet to read of someone who is not aware of whether they fall under the old or new rules!
Actually it does happen! I blame the UKBA website, which doesn't always make things chrystal clear.
I've run into old rules spouse visa-holders who are uncertain whether or not some or all of the new of the post 9/7/12 requirements apply to them. When PMC mentioned being uncertain whether there would be trouble with a job change to freelancing, I thought it'd be best to make sure which rules we were talking about, just in case.
Actually, no one will be eligible for ILR under the new rules until 2017 as it now takes 5 years to get to that stage.
Very true! But misunderstandings abound as well about how long it takes for spouses to get to ILR now. It's good to make sure everyone's on the same page.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

It's good to make sure everyone's on the same page.
Absolutely!
Old Aug 8th 2013, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all for the replies so far. Looks like me contracting may not be an issue but if anyone has any experience then any info is appreciated.

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
Do not know your spouses nationality, but do check the language requirements as there have been some changes to that too which are not reliant on when you applied first but when you apply again.
My wife is South African. When she got her settlement visa she had to show that the language of instruction for her Bachelors degree was English. That was all that was required for proof of language. Have rules changed for ILR for South Africans such that she needs to prove her English language capability again?
Old Aug 12th 2013, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Looks like there are some changes as documented here:
KoLL Requirements
and here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...language-life/

Other settlement requirements for those who applied on or before 8th July 2012 are here:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ly/settlement/